Chapter 52: A Mother's Wrath

Deam's POV

When I heard his voice, I could hear the blood bubbling up to the surface of my skin. It was like every nightmare I had experienced for the past years came past my eyes like holographs. He looks older, worn. I hadn't expected he'd done much fighting with his time in office. His hair stayed messy, a stark contrast to the pinstripe suit he donned accompanied by a weapon of the same complexities.

Straight and sharp.

As I look to him, I can admit, emotions I hadn't planned on feeling came to mind. 

Shame, fear, love.

I hated that.

I hated that I ever loved a man who didn't even know the meaning of such things. Who abused and used me.

"Piece of shit." I grumble, drawing my sword from my back. "You abusive piece of shit."

"You've learned some big words, but still don't seem to know how to use them." Atlas chuckles, drawing metal to his feet.

Those spiny, bird-like claws form at the base of black leather shoes, with the wings to match. This form that striked fear anytime he dared to bring it upon an unlucky foe. And this time, that foe was me.

"I loved you dearly." He continues.

"That wasn't love. You were a shit cunt that took some helpless girl off the street and claimed to be her savior. You wanted to cage her, bar her in so she wouldn't leave  your side." I feel my fingers brush over the trigger. "Then when you could tell I wanted more than to be just a lapdog, you threw me away. Once for that Imperial Officer, twice over for your beloved Angelique."

"Deam, you're being emotional. You came rampaging into my office--"

"You took our daughter away from me, you sniveling bastard."

I hear an audible drop of metal. I look to Spades. He claps his hand over his mouth, shaking his head at me. These small actions conveyed more than I needed to know: Atlas still didn't know Clover was his child.

"Our what?" 

His reaction doesn't matter. Only one thing does.

"One of us is gonna' end up dead today." I push the trigger on my gun down. "And unfortunately my daughter needs a hair appointment to get the lice out of her head."

I launch towards Atlas's position, but he sees me coming. He quickly dodges, with one metal flap of his wing, he's out of range. My sword begins to kick into gear as a neon blue light fills the symmetrical lines that run through it's metal surface. I quickly draw it into it's gunning mode, finger around the trigger and the other cupping the hilt underneath the blade-like barrel. I quickly fire.

One.

Two.

Three.

Neon blue bullets beeline towards the bird-like creature that is Atlas Solani, exploding when they make impact with the walls behind him. Of course that's indicative of none of them hitting. Atlas returns the favor, swooping me with inhuman speeds, purple light searing my flesh as he passes me midair. I jump to a semi-stable platform on the warehouses' ground.

You're not the only one with tricks up their sleeve.

Tapping into the back of my head, I draw energy from my heart into my hand, the lines on my body lighting up like cars on a race track--much like my sword. I draw the metal in my hand back into sword position, wielding it with both hands as I cut through a piece of rock Atlas flings towards me with brute strength. 

But he's quick.

He maneuvers through the parted rock quickly, expecting me to slice it to bits, grabbing me by the throat and slamming me with no mercy into a brick wall.

"I'd like you to shed some light on what you were saying earlier."

"Over my dead body." I spit at his face, the substances coating his left cheek.

I'm met with a sneer. "That certainly could be arranged, my love."

"Don't call me that." 

I grab his arm which is holding me place, channeling whatever strength I can muster into hurting him the most. Tiny white waves of electricity cover his body, before bringing him into agony before my knees. I kick him hard, sending him flying a few meters ahead of me. The same electricity covers my body as well, delving in and out of my skin like waves on the sea.

"You deny treating me like a common dog, yet still have the nerve to call me pet names?"

I feel the electricity getting stronger as I walk closer to him. I swing my sword to the side in a burst of anger, waves of lighting spouting from the tip and destroying what was left of the warehouse's east wall.

"You had every idea how much I loved you." My feet begin to sink into the ground with every step. "You gave me a family. People that truly loved me. And because of you..."

I stop.

"Because of you..." I grit my teeth. "I was just a lovesick girl. I was loyal and loving. I waited on your every beck and call just because I wanted to see you every day. Because of you, I don't even know what I am anymore." 

So many names I've had...

"And because of that, I've decided to kill you." 

Drawing my sword I raise it above my shoulder, drawing electricity from my body and into the blade once more. 

Atlas begins to shut his eyes, to which I find insulting.

With one quick strike, I bring the blade down.

"Fuck-" 

"No." 

I quickly draw back, blood dripping down my blade and onto the floor.

"NO." I scream. "Spades."

"How funny." Spades kneels in front of Atlas, a clear line of red marring his black coat. "I always joked about how you'd be the death of me."

He collapses to the floor, lifeless. Blood pools from his body like a river.

"Spades." 

A croak comes of his name, but not from me.

"Spades, you fucking idiot." Atlas bellows, crawling to him. "Please, please Spades."

"Uncle Shovel?" 

My head whips to the tinier voice to the far end of the warehouse. Angelique stands in the distance with my child in her arms, one arm around Clover and the other hand clasped around her mouth.

"Mama, uncle Shovel..." Clover begins to whine, begging Angelique to let her go to the man lying on the ground. "Please, uncle!"

"We don't have time." Angelique pleads, regaining her senses. "A rebel force began attack the Eastern gate, their on their way here."

This isn't happening. 

I look to Spades, face down in his own blood. Atlas above him, kneeling over his body.

"You stupid boy." Atlas bellows again. "Why would you do this?"

I grimace, shaking my head.

"You're the stupid one, Atlas." I pick up Spades' body, holding him tightly as tears prick my eyes. "To say that you love us dearly--it looks like you really do barely understand how much we loved you."