Chapter 34: Peppermint

"So... You're in a good mood." Ran looks at the both of us oddly, playing off his curiosity as much as he can.

Aiden and I walk arm in arm back to the the designated meeting spot; a white pavilion with rose lined around the gutter, making even the worst parts of the monument pretty. As Aiden and Ran move to a bench to speak about matters which I lost my right to hear two years ago, I walk to the railing on the far end of the pavilion. Leaning onto the gold railing, and bite my lip.

This setting's very familiar...I feel like... Not a memory. Like a dream...?

I sigh heavily, my hair gently blown by the cool wind that breezes past. The leaves rustle in a calming way, leading me to clasp my hands and shut my eyes to listen to the night.

"I've never seen you so calm."

I open my eyes and look down to the group's knight in shining armour. He stands on the ground next to the railing, but still stands taller than it.

"It must be the yoga." I respond and he smiles in return.

"Your very different." He leans back onto the railing, raising one leg up onto the wall. "Before you say anything, I'm not saying it's bad. In fact," He tilts his head to look at me. "It's sort've... it's like your all grown up."

Unsure of how to respond, I nervously swallow, needing to get something off my chest. But he beats me to it.

"You and Aiden seem pretty chummy again-"

"Spades."

He bounces off the wall and walks a metre forwards before turning around to look at me. I stand up straight and press my waist into the railings.

"I..." The words unable to come out, and having no idea how to shape them, I clasp the railing with my hands at a loss for words. "I... Uh... This went a lot better in my head-"

"If your going to apologise," He scratches the back of his head and sighs. "I don't want to hear it. I got over it a long time ago."

"Please." Leaning over the balcony now, my heart beats faster when he starts walking away. "We were so close, Spades. I don't want to keep going knowing that you'll never forgive me."

There's a heavy silence, and I can feel my heart rate accelerating with every second it takes for him to reply.

"You should've thought about that when you left."

And with that, Spades walks off into the night, not even turning back once.

"Was this what it felt like?"

I silently think to myself, unclasping my hands sadly.

Did he feel like I just did? Did he feel like I did when I walked away? When I walked away...

When he walked away.

"That's not a cute look." An unfamiliar voice says to my side. "But I'll say, it's an improvement."

I lazily sweep my eyes to the side, virtually ignoring the man next to me. He sported a black coat with gold buttons, a similar attire to Spades. His brown hair gelled back with one side shaved off, a friendly yet cunning smile on his face.