Chapter 40: Sunlight Siblings

"Oi, Ricky." I call out. "Guess who and who?"

"Oh god." He groans, I can see the visible wariness on his face as his eyes land on the girl that clasps my hand in abstract fright. "So kidnapping kids is your new hobby?"

"I'm not kidnapping her. She wants to come."

"Oh goodie. Do you have a son and baby to match?"

Rolling my eyes, I usher Althea further down the dock, slapping a $5 bill into her hand to invest into a bag of candy or something. Pulling Merrick by the elbow, I awkwardly drag him behind a lamppost that lines the pier so we're briefly hidden from view, but still able to watch Althea from afar.

The blue haired man gives me a weird look, raising his eyebrow as my gaze darts from him to the small girl now treading towards a cotton candy stand.

"You don't seem like the type to keep brats with you, other than yourself." He crosses his arms smugly.

But I'm about to do one better. "That 'brat' over there," I nonchalantly nod towards Althea. "Is Atlas Solani's little sister—Althea Solani."

Merrick drops his arms in disbelief. "Bullshit."

"It's true. She's got the glowing eyes and everything."

"She doesn't seem to know who you are."

"She doesn't."

"Oh boy." Merrick groans again, physically straining himself from smacking his own face. "'Hate to break it to you sweetie pie, but I'm sleeping with your brother—but he's also murdered me a couple times so tol-di-rolly-loldy we've got a big happy family!'"

"I'm not telling her." I say, adamant. "Can't you see? She's leverage against Atlas."

"You can't be convinced that he even gives a damn about her." He rolls his eyes at my defiant tone. "I mean, he didn't even care about you."

Merrick's words cut deep, but I can't deny any of his argument. Atlas had ditched his family in a small town no where near the city, subject to any possible hostage situations that may have occurred to gain leverage just as I had done.

As I watch watch Althea skip back towards us, a million possibilities and questions fill my head as her rosy cheeks lift to greet me. This could be a set up by Atlas, but then again if it wasn't for Althea's free will their hellish mother wouldn't have let me live.

Lifting Althea in my arms, I eye Merrick for our next move.

"We have a meeting tonight at 1am." He begins as I follow him down the pier. "I've found a weak spot."

"Should I bring a welcoming basket and flowers too?" I grimace—remembering Merrick's 'no-murder' policy.

"No." He cuts quickly, turning a corner—a clear look of resentment on his face. "We'll need a whole heap of luck."

***

The meaning of 'a whole heap of luck' became clearer as 1am rolled by. Merrick has led us to a tavern at the very end of the pier side—it's interior foggy and filled with people just like the atmosphere. Drunkards topple over each other from the right and left, bringing women and men alike down onto the hard wood floor.

Ugly creme walls mixed with pillars of rough bark did nothing to hide the obvious disease infested sailors and their less than willing damsels—whom would be more than willing after a pint or so. A lute player and company spent their hours playing at the corner of the room, filling the crowd's ears with sea shanty's and choruses' of ocean chants.