Chapter 38: Partners in Crime

"Arr, me hearties! Set course to starboard!"

"Your really getting into this, aren't you?"

"Oh, c'mon Ricky'! Don't tell me you've never wanted to be a pirate."

Looping my foot into a rope that dangles from a lamppost, I playfully swing over the edge of the pier. Grinning wildly, I ignore all the attention I draw—the people of Valhalli not too used to disruptive Inner City lookin' girls in their suburb.

Cuz' that's what I looked like—not what I am—an Inner City girl. I didn't have a chance to change out of my tattered bodysuit, barely keeping my Nox tattoo out of sight with a tatty bandage that covered both my thigh and chest. Long story short, I looked like shit—but as always I had no complaints.

After a long rest at the sex house I'd been forcefully been constrained in, I managed to catch a few hours of shut eye before I was whisked away again.

Valhalli was located in Outer Town, but it definitely put the slums to shame. It's what you'd think was middle class—middle class of the lower class more like. Ships and submarines came to a fro from its ports, travelling to distant lands with the same format of social separation.

Landing on the wood pier with a jolt, I stretch up to the sky carelessly—knocking an apple off a cart and into my hand without too much concern.

"I can pay for those, you know."

"I know you can, Ricky. And that's the thrill." I chuckle, mouth half full with red fleshy goodness. "You may be my closest equal, but we grew up on two sides of the spectrum."

"It's Merrick, not 'Ricky'." He mutters scornfully. "And yes. I can't believe the person I'd been looking for my whole life is a whack job from the sewers."

"You say that like it's a bad thing."

"It is a bad thing."

"S-ord, Sw-ord." I say in a fashion mocking 'to-may-to, to-ma-to'. "And get used to it, Ricky-boy. You'll find I tend to do what I want, and not many people can stop me."

"Except for that guy..."

As soon as the words leave his mouth, my leg is already swinging. Air rushes beneath me as I roundhouse kick him in the ribs, causing him to stumble and gasp—the force pushing him over the edge of the pier and into the water below. Lingering over the side of the wood structure, I ignore the whispers of various passerby's as I toe the edge of the pier—looking down into the water.

He resurfaces quickly, wearily wading in he water below.

"How come I'm always getting drenched with you?"

"Merrick." I glare, feeling the electricity travel through my bones. I grip the hilt of my sword, drawing it slightly—exacting terror from the swimming man's face. "It'll do ya' good if you keep ya' mouth shut. I'd hate to cut out your tongue."

After hauling him back out of the water, he sits on the edge of the pier soaked. Wringing our his hair, he grouchily moans when I sit next to him.

"You really loved him."

I let my silence do the talking.

"Heaven's above." Merrick mutters, letting a lock of blue hang in front of his chest. "A mafia leader—"

"I loved them all."

"What do you mean-?"

"I loved them all." I repeat, gently shutting my eyes and resting my hands on my lap. The sea breeze passes through my hair, whipping the loose strands of white into the air. "They were my family. They were my friends."