Part 7: Nico's Turn On The Track

Deep in thought on the cream sofa, I stared up at the ceiling, contemplating a game plan for the qualifing sesson that was less then 30 minutes away. I didnt know how I managed to pull off a lap like the one I had just done and I couldnt imagine me doing it again in qualifing. Maybe it was just because I had the track to myself? Or maybe it was because of the fact that I knew Alonso was about to be realised onto the track? Either way, I had to think of something.

Before I could manage to muster up a game plan, Freddy came bustling in, head set in hand, ready for Nico when he went out onto the track. "You need something, Fred?" I mumbled carelessly from the depths of the pillow smothering my face. I really didnt want anyone to disrupt my focus, not when the qualies where a matter of mintues away. "Yeah.....I just wondered if you knew what was wrong with Nico....He's been acting awfully strange". There was definatley a hint of concern in his voice, that only raised my concerns even more. I raised myself from the sofa and wipped my hair away, revealing my sweaty face. "No....No I dont sorry Fred, do you want me to talk to him when he gets back from his practice lap?" I suggested, wanting to do anything to find out what was wrong with him. It was strange because he seemed fine when I was getting myself ready earlier. Maybe it had something to do with when I pulled away form him before hunting for my helmet? All the possiblities ran through my head, making it impossible to think about anything else, including the qualifers. "Yeah that might be a good idea. Maybe he needs a women to talk to? They are usually better at dealing with problems!" He chuckled, obviously thinking his ridiculous pun was some what laughable. "Yeah maybe" I repiled doubtfully. I hoped that he wasnt having too much of a problem; I really needed him to qualifiy well, otherwise my chances of winning will start to whither dramatically. "Hey Freddy! Nico's all set! We're gonna send him out!" a mechanic called from the garage, beckoning Freddy to assist him start the car. "Well I better go, duty calls!" and with that, he grabbed his head set and ran determindly out of the lounge.

The lounge seemed unsually quiet without the bustle of engineers and mechanics, who where by now focusing on Nico. I couldnt stand the emptyness, so I lept of the sofa with affliction and walked calmly towards the door, where all the mechanics where working hard to get Nico sorted. Nico himself was sitting calmly in his Mercedes, though I couldnt make out his facial expression, hence his helmet. I walked over to him with a flourish, and leaned over the car, trying to get as close to him as I could manage. "Nico!" I whispered loudly, which thankfully, immediately caught his attention. "Yeah?" He replied softly through his helmet. "Whats wrong? Freddy told me that you've been acting strange". The doubt in my voice had obviously become apparent to Nico, as his gloved hands where now touching my flustered cheeks. "I'm fine honestly......I was just thinking about us....". His eyes moved away as he said this, making it plain he was embarrassed, even if it wasnt intentional. I honestly didnt know what to say to this, instead I focused my gaze on his eyes, willing them to turn and look at me. "Nico, you dont need to worry, ok? Just remember we're going to have a great night tonight. Just you and me, yeah?" I said it with such confidence, I knew that he was beginning to believe it too. Finally, his eyes shifted back and gazed at me, and I couldnt help but breath a sigh of relief, knowing I had just averted him from anger. "Yeah, yeah we are". Although I couldnt see it, I knew there was a wide, beautiful smile stretched across his face. I leaned forward and hugged him hard, feeling his heavy breathing from inside of his helmet. Pulling away was difficult for both of us, but I knew it had be done; I didnt want Freddy down our throats. "Go get em' tiger!" I laughed, doing a gormless immertation of a tiger while I was at it. Nico laughed heartedly, before Freddy waved me away. Nico was all set to go and as I saw him race swiftly out of the garage, I caught his eye inadvertently and saw his passion for driving flair in his eyes. I must say, it was quite beautiful.

**********

Leaping out of the car in triumph, Nico let out a huge victory cry, that filled the whole garage with delight. The practice season had been a success for both of us, and Nico managed to set a new track record, beating the seemingly impressive record of 1:24.125 that was notoriously set in 2004 by Mr Michael Schumacher himself. "Great effort mate! I dont think we need to go out again, guys. The car upgrades seem to be in working order. Now all we need to do is focus on the qualifiers, which to my watch, starts in........ohh.......roughly 25 minutes!" Freddy exclaimed, waltzing around the garage as he spoke. Everything seemed to be going splendidly. And now all I had to do was carry this on in the qualifiers......

(Sorry its late guys! enjoy! Part 8 coming soon :))