Part 12: Across The Line.

This was it. The very moment I had been dreading all afternoon, in the sunny depths of Australia. I was scared, but ready to face the music. Pole was defiantly the prize to be won today, and I was going to make sure that prize came home. I was over the line quicker than anticipated, but I managed to get it together to make a good turn into turn one, and made sure the exit was perfectly lined into turn 2. The short straight ahead seemed to last nano seconds, as I was now reaching speeds exceeding well over 200kph, and was now in gear 5 as I was approaching turn 3. I had barely time to think, when it was time to brake significantly into turn 3, hitting the apex perfectly and steering clear of the grass which was mere centimeters from the car itself. Turn 4 was more of the same: hitting the apex at just the right angle to give me a good exit onto another short straight. As I expected, I managed to pull through. As turn 5 was on the horizon, Freddy's voice fired into life inside my helmet, causing a slight distraction, but thankfully, nothing that would knock my focus. "Alright Nikki, just be wary there are more drivers approaching the pit exit as we speak. Nico is one of them, so we should be expecting 2 good lap times being set in roughly 2 minutes. The session ends in about 4 minutes". The radio went dead as soon as the last word was spoken. Replying seemed the last thing on my mind, as I was now racing towards the Clark Chicane at turns 9 and 10. I felt confident about this lap, but something was still digging at me, making me think that this wasn't going to be enough for pole.

As Ascari dawned upon me, I began to feel alittle tense, knowing that if this lap was to fail, there might not be time to set another one before the flag was waved. My grip on the steering wheel seemed to tighten as turn 14 slipped passed me without a trace and turn 15 was now in my wake. Just one more turn to go before the finish line would be in sight. I was starting to get nervous. I could feel my heart beat rapidly underneath my overalls; I felt as if at any second it would jump out if my chest and fall to the floor, leaving me totally paralysed. I could feel the capacity crowd, emanating joy and raising their hands in triumph as they saw me fly across the track. I could wait no more.

Turn 16 seemed to last decades, as I made the final twist of the steering wheel and the straight that would lead me to the finish line was now in sight. It really was now or nothing. I pushed as hard as I could onto the accelerator while focusing myself determinedly on the one thing that mattered. That Pole Position. Everything else seemed to fade into the background, even the crowd seemed to have disappeared completely. My ears became deaf to the furious roars of the engine that penetrated each and every inch of this marvelous setting. My eyes became transfixed upon the finish line which was inching closer and closer with every hurried breath I took. The line was racing up towards me, giving me no time to think or even breath. I was getting so close, until finally the line had sweeped beneath my car. The crowd had stood to gasp at my triumph. I saw faces of joy, excitement and pride. Mercedes fans rejoicing together. Everyone knew, apart from me. Was it enough? Or had pole slipped through my fingers once more.....