Part 5: Pre Practice Thoughts

As I entered the garage, Ross immediately jumped in front of me. When I say 'jumped', I really mean he just waddled over and blocked my path with his great mass. "What do you think your doing?! We've got practice 3 in less then 10 minutes and all you seem to care about is talking to some low life GP2 driver with no talent, wasting everybody else's time! Get yourself sorted out Nikki!" He boomed, not seeming to noticed that the whole garage had stopped working and was now gwapping at his hilarious attempt at being angry. I could barely contain my laughter as his face seemed to be edging closer and closer with every shriek. Even the mechanics seemed to be muffling their laughter from underneath the now covered up car. "I want you to get yourself sorted because we havent got long left and I want us to be fastest in this session, you hear?" His voice echoed eruptedly. Infact, it was so erupt, I wouldnt be surprised if they could hear him all the way down into the HRT garage! "Alright, Ross. Theres no need to get into a frenzy, I was just being friendly. I was well aware of when the practice started" I scoffed, trying hard to muffle my secret amusement. He didnt bother with a reply. Instead he simply glared at me before returning into deep conversation with one of the mechanics. "God he seems right paranoid since the hype for this race started!" Exclaimed one the mechanics, twiddling his spanner around his finger while sipping half heartedly on his luke-warm coffee. I couldnt agree more, I replied mentally.

"Hey, Nikki, a word?". It was Mark Webber, leaning against the pile of Pirellis that Nico had sat on moments before. I strolled over, wondering what possible business Mark could want with me. "Hey Mark, what can I do for you?" I said casually enough, not wanting to sound too over excited about being back in F1. "Well I need to ask a quick favour". I sighed heavily. Oh god, we all knew Mark's 'quick' favours. They usually involved alot of effort and mostly wasted our time anyway. I didnt have the mental capacity to deal with yet another of his mid life crisises. "Well you better hurry up, I need to get my helmet in a minute" I replied hastily, wanting him to see the frustration in my voice. Mark was a good friend and all, but he didnt half moan. "Well basically I really had my eye on someone---". I shut him up quickly before he could continue. "Look can we discuss this later? I have more important things to worry about at the moment" and before he could open his mouth again, I stalked off in the other direction, in search of my helmet. I honestly didnt have the strength to deal with my own problems, let alone his. Why couldnt he bend someone else's ear for a change, instead of always coming to me over the simplest things. I heard him calling after me but I simply ignored his persistent bellows and continued my search for my helmet. After routing around the front of the garage, I finally managed to find it, hiding amongst a few nuts and bolts, long forgotten paper work and yesterday's half finished take away that was already beginning to smell funny. I reached in reluctantly and fished out my helmet from the the mess from which it was discovered and wiped clean any traces of dirt that it had picked up from the take away box. I wonder which idiot moved my helmet from the safety of the lounge and dumped it carelessly like rubbish on top of a take away box? I dwelled on this for a moment before Nico Rosberg clambered into the garage and stalked over, ear phones in and music blaring. "HEY NIKKI!". I clutched my ears, trying to protect them form certain damage. I sighed heavily and yanked his ear phones out, mentally slapping him in the process. "I am not across the street ya know! I am here!" I laughed, trying not to sound too annoyed at his ignorance. "Sorry about that, you know how I like to listen to abit of music before I get out there". I found myself being pulled closer to his body as he spoke, but this time I wasn't having any of it. "Are you crazy?!" I hissed, pushing him off me and stepping back a few paces. "People will start to suspect if you keep doing that!". I folded my arms angrily, willing him to fess up that this was wrong, but oh no, he stepped forward and placed his hands on my waist, pulling me close again. "But why should we hide our love? Your not ashamed are you?" His voiced echoed, as his head turned sideways, ready to plant a kiss on my pouting lips. I couldnt resist him and soon found myself breathless from his embrace. I pulled away reluctantly and stared lovingly in his eyes, wanting us to be swallowed up in our own fantasy world, away from everyone else's jealous ways. "I best go Nico, mechanics want me ready now" and before he could argue, I sauntered off towards the car.

Upon approaching my Mercedes, I slid my helmet on and fastened it securely in place. My vision seemed to have become incrediblely limited now, and my head felt like it had gained 2 stone in the space of around 10 seconds, but I was happy to finally be racing again. One of the mechanics tapped me on the shoulder, interfering with my reminiscing. "You've got the green light Nikki, practice 3 is underway". I neednt not know anymore.

(Part 6 coming soon :))