Part 6: Warming Up Those Tires

I was ready. The mechanics where ready and we where all undoubtedly nervous. "The cars ready Nikki, you want to get out there early to set a lap time?" asked Freddy, my mechanic. I was almost certain that if I set a lap time now, that someone else would beat me, but I was so focused, I agreed without hesitation. The atmosphere around me suddenly felt more tense as though we had fast forwarded to tomorrows all important race in the a blink of an eye. People started shuffling hastily around me, obviously wanting to get me out there as soon as they could, to avoid traffic later on. I paced myself towards my now fully constructed car and drew my legs up over the side, steadying me as I hurled myself up into a standing position inside. I shifted myself downwards, allowing room for my legs to slide into place, before finally sitting on the padded seat beneath me. "You forgot these" and right before my eyes, Freddy thrust a pair of bright pink gloves in my face, as if he thought my vision had some how declined in the past 2 seconds. "Thanks Fred" I muffled from inside my helmet while slipping the pink shockers onto my hands. "You sure you want to go out early? You know we've got another 45 minutes" Freddy said, leaning over the side of the car and fixing my seat belt into place. "I'm sure, Fred. I'll have some clean air, which will allow me the freedom to go as fast as possible without getting caught up" I replied firmly, letting him know my decision was final. "Well if your sure" and with that, he strided to the back of the car, ready to fire up the engine.

*******

It was all systems go as I finally heard the crackle of the radio start up beneath my helmet. My hands firmly clasped on the clutch paddles as finally the 18,000hp Mercedes engine roared out of the garage and into the pit lane. It felt strange driving again, despite all the testing we had done in previous months. Gliding down the pit lane at the regulated 100kph felt like nothing to me, as I was used to speeds exceeding well over 250kph. As I finally passed the lights, I released the limiter and zoomed my way across the track, barely giving myself time to turn the car into the first corner. Without warning, the team radio fired into life in my ear "Ok Nikki, just to confirm, you have clear track ahead of you for now, but we have received word that Fernando Alonso will be exiting the pits within the next 2 to 3 minutes" crackled Freddy from inside the garage. I pressed the button which allowed me to reply, as I made my way steadily into turn 4, making sure I lined myself up for a good exit into turn 5. "Ok thanks Fred, keep me posted" and with that, the radio fell silent and I was free to focus on setting a good lap time. The turning into turn 5 was excellent, with hardly no under steer at all and set me up perfectly for the short straight ahead. I could barely see the crowds to the side of me as I rocketed past, but I just knew they where on my side. Upon entering sector 2, I braked heavily into turn 6, the lateral G-force ramming me forward causing a slight disruption to my focus as I entered the run off area into turn 7. Recovering quickly, I slammed as hard as I could on the accelerator, wanting to enter into the Clark Chicane as quickly as possible. Upon entering, the team radio fired up again, muffling down my already bursting ear drums. "Nikki, just to let you know Fernando has now exited the pits". I didnt bother with a reply. I was so focused I barely had time to hover my finger over the button and reply. This was just the practices but it was all or nothing in my eyes.

Time was fiercely competed with me as I finally made it to the Ascari, breaking hard, and possibly alittle early, but I managed to recover quickly before turning into turn 14, another early breaking zone for me. The team radio erupted into life again as I entered turn 15. "Ok, Nikki a good practice, we've got the data and we want you back in" Freddy's voice boomed in my brain as I zoomed into the pits, contracting the limiter as soon as I crossed the line. I felt enchanted by my first real practice lap since February, and it really showed by the expression on my covered up face. Approaching my garage, I saw the pit crew ready to wheel me as soon as I grinded to a halt.

*********

I leapt out of the car with triumph, bursting with excitement at my amazing lap. "Well done Nikki! That was a fantastic lap! We are about to send Nico out, so you can take it easy for abit" Fred smiled, making it plain he was clearly impressed. I didnt need to be told twice. I fingered around the front of my helmet, searching for the clasp. I saw Nico saunter past me as I finally found the it and forced the helmet off. I smiled in his direction, hoping that he had noticed me, but no such luck. Progressively, I reached the lounge at long last, opening the door with ease before collapsing on the cream sofa in front of me. For a while, I just lay there, thinking about the amazing lap I had just pulled off. But doubts where circling my head as to whether I could repeat this in qualifying.....

(Sorry its late guys! Enjoy! Part 7 coming soon!)