Part 13: The Reality Of It All.

Was I on pole? Is that why the crowds where swept onto their feet; cheering so passionately? It should have been obvious, but I was in such a tizzy, I couldnt focus on anything. I was barely able to drive myself back towards the pits without hitting several run off areas and clipping a few grassed plots. At that very second, Ross' familiar gruff, husky voice filled the every corner of my helmet, distracting me so much so that I nearly veered my Mercedes into the back of a Caterham. "Congrats Nikki! A time of 1.25.764! That really has set the bar for the other drivers! Your on pole for the momemt, but this session has got 2 minutes to go, so the celebrations have been put on hold for now. As you know, anything can happen in F1, but hopefully, we've set a good enough time" It was strange hearing Ross muffle such praise into my ear. Usually he'd be hollering down my ear for one reason or another!

Turn 16 swept passed me again, and the pits where soon to follow. I could just about make out the Mercedes crew flocking out onto the box, ready and waiting for me. It was just incredible how time had flown so quickly; I was barely able to keep up! Coming to a sudden stop near the pitwall, mechanics swept over me with a flourish, pushing the car heartedly into the garage, while one mechanic steered it accordingly. Ross was leaning casually over by the pitwall, headset still on and a sadistic grin stretched across his face. Strangely enough, I couldnt seem to work out why Ross was hovering over me like a hawk, eyeing me up and down as if I where a sculpture of beauty. It certainly was out of the norm; not that I have any complaints. Its a rarity that he shows me any kind of affection or indeed any kind of compassion. As I grinded to a hault in the Mercedes garage, I immediately jumped out, not bothering to take the steering wheel off first, but banging my knee and screeching in agony as a result. While rubbing my sore knee, Freddie approached me from behind, tapping me on the shoulder with a huge grin on his face, arms open wide, inviting me for a hug. I returned it eagerly and gripped hold of him hard, smiling from ear to ear. "Good job, Nik! Your really on form today!" It was great to hear such priase from Freddy, especially as I had worked so hard these difficult and challenging qualifying session. "We aint outta the woods yet Fred, still about a minute to go" Though inside my stomach was doing sommersaults and my heart felt like it was going to beat right out of my chest. The other drivers clearly didnt have the race pace to compete with my competitive driving, even Sebastian was having trouble picking up the pace in the closing stages of these dramatic qualifying sessions. A little over 4 months ago, I was rejocing at even finishing 7th in the driver standings with Lotus, but now I may be celebrating my first Pole Position of the season. What a great kick start that would be. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Nico being wheeled into the pits after a last ditch effort at setting a credible time. He had done well; with seconds left he managed to clinch onto 2nd on the grid, by 2 tenths of a second, just behind Redbull's Mark Webber.

"And that's the checkered flag......Looks like Mercedes have scored a magnificent front row lock out going into tomorrows highly anticipated race, with Nikki Jefferson on pole and her team mate Nico Rosberg just behind her in second.......and here you can see the celebrations are under way in the Mercedes garage as Ross Braun here......Talking to his mechanics....." The familiar echo of Martin Brundle's voice boomed from the TV, at once confirming my victory. I was completely astonished that I had managed to rustle up pole in my first ever qualifiers with Mercedes. Ha! Take that Lotus! That'll show you for dropping me for an old has been like Raikonnen!

As the celebrations where under way, I slyly edged my way around the garage, dodging nosy publicity cameras, and edging away from David Coulthard as he desperately tried to fight his way towards me for an exculsive interview for the BBC. Fat chance I'd let him near me! As I managed to clamber out of all the hustle and bustle, I found Nico standing outside, staring into the distance, oblivious to my presence. He looked quite spaced out, with his hands in his pockets, and his head slightly slanted to the right. "Hey-" As I tried to continue, Nico sprang in front of me and curved his lips around mine, teasing my senses and causing me to relax completely in his warm embrace. As he pulled away, I looked him in the eyes and tried reading his thoughts. But it was impossible. "You know, if Ross saw us-" "F*** Ross, I dont care what he says, I need you.....I want you Nikki.....Come on, lets go back to your hotel room, and get ready for tonight....." I couldnt refuse, and before I knew it, I was being whisked away from the awaiting cameras, and shoved in the back of Nico's Mercedes AMG SL65 faster than I could even imagine. Tonight sure was going to be eventful.....I needed Paul's advice though....I know he'd help me. I decided as soon as I got to the hotel room, I'd give him a quick ring......