*38*

We all began to walk back to the stables together when I felt the phone in my back pocket vibrate. I wrestled to get it out and saw my mom's name as the caller ID.
"Mom? What's up?"
Her panicked voice came through the speaker and my jaw dropped.
"Ok, we'll be right there." I promised.
"Pin, get your medical kit!"
"What? Why?"
"It's Bob, we have to go!"

*.         *.           *. 

We raced across the fields on our horses and the whole time my mind was racing. What if we're too late?
My mom had called to say that there was little hope for Bob. It would be kinder to inject him and let him sleep and never wake than put him through more pain.
But we couldn't give up without a fight. Bob was stronger than that.
We made it to the tent just as my mom was holding the needle ominously above
We burst through the flaps.
"Wait! I think I can help." Pin cried.
Everybody looked up expectantly.
"Wait, Mom. Please, try this." I pointed to the small glass container that pin was carrying as we walked into the tent.
"Where did you get that?" She asked.
"It's a therapeutic solvent." Pin adopted a reassuring tone as she watched him suspiciously. "They use it in horse racing in Ireland."
"There isn't a horse on this island that Pin can't heal." Zoe offered her opinion. "And Phoebe is your daughter, you know her talents firsthand."
"At least let him try." Maggie shrugged at my mom.
"We'll do what we can Becky." Pin promised as I crouched beside her and Bob, gently rubbing her back reassuringly.

*. *. *.

As the crowd who'd recently dispersed the tent made their way back in, Bob raised his head eagerly and I petted his mane gently. A smile spread across my face as I looked at Becky and I turned to Pin, nodding gratefully. He maintained eye contact for a lot longer than I was used to him doing, at least recently. Everyone was incredibly congratulatory as we watched Becky reunite with her horse. Jade stood behind her and Becky turned to address her friend.
"I'm sorry about what I said." The blonde looked rather sheepish.
"No. You were right. I wasn't there for you. But I want things to change."
I exchanged a glance and a smile with Pin as the two started singing the Jecky rap.
"You two did amazing today." Zoe complimented as we both headed to the outside of the now rather crowded tent.
"Thanks. Happy I could help. Now my dad's just called, he wants me home."
I nodded in farewell as Pin raced off and turned back to link arms with Zoe while we watched the happy reunion of horse and his girl.
"Pin did amazing , but I think we all know what really healed Bob." Becky smiled, "Mr duck." I laughed at Becky's cuteness as she held up the small stuffed animal with a much happier expression than she'd worn earlier.

*.          *.           *.  

We returned with our horses to the Holloway stables. Alex came out to meet us and I grinned at him while Becky double checked with Mia that Bob was allowed to stay. Quite understandably she was surprised when Mia accepted easily.
"If anyone from Holloway has any issues with Bob, you come straight to me."
"Huh?" Becky frowned.
"Bob saved Firefly. I owe him everything." Mia explained before announcing how much of a team Bright Fields were and how they'd win nationals to return Bright Fields to its former glory. I glanced down at the insignia on my uniform and felt a small ache for the community that I once belonged to.
Zoe's voice cut crisp across the yard only moments later.
"What are you doing here?"
Her hostility was aimed at James who was now striding across the heard towards us.
"Didn't Callum tell you? I'm Holloway's new trainer." I turned to my left to glance incredulously at Gaby who looked just as shocked. "Get tacked up, be ready in five. We've got a competition to win." At this i looked forwards at Alex and we shared identical grimaces. I'd rather have Marcus as a trainer any day.
"What are you really doing here?" Gaby glared at James as he slowly stalked towards her.
"I came back for you. We're family. And this time, I'm gonna get us both what we want. What do you say?"
"You don't have to do this." Zoe urged as the silence stretched on. She was glancing at Gaby desperately. Once her eyes caught mine I could see the familiar glint of worry in hers, mirrored in my own. To both of our despair Gaby responded,
"I'm in."
She peered back over her shoulder, expression indecipherable as her and James walked away, further into the stables. I internally groaned at the siblings.
"Come on, we need to get to training. I'd hate to think what would happen if we were late." Alex shuddered, gently grabbing my arm. I punched his shoulder lightly as I laughed.
"What's he gonna do, trample us?"

*.         *.          *.  

A day until nationals and I yawned largely. It was way earlier than I would usually be out but I wanted to clear my head so I'd gone for a ride along the beach with Joey.
I dismounted at one point and removed my shoes and socks, walking into the crashing waves up to around my knees. The water was refreshingly freezing and I groaned as I realised I'd have to dry my feet with my socks before putting the boots back on.
"Ugh fine. This attempt to chill didn't work too well hey buddy?" I turned on the empty beach to address the horse standing ad watching me.
"At least you look a little happier." His eyes had gained back a little of the sparkle that they'd lost over the course of our intensive training with James.
Thankfully I arrived back in time to avoid the wrath of said trainer. Alex however, was not so lucky.
"Alex! Shorten the reins and do it again!"
There had been a few tensions as both Bright Fields and Holloway trained in the same grounds.
"That's it Zoe, enjoy the ride and the rest will follow." 
I couldn't help but notice the juxtaposition between James and Marcus in their attitudes towards training.