* 14 *

I woke to the sensation of someone touching my hair, stroking it. I groaned as I opened my eyes, blinking to adjust to the light.
"Sweetie, you're awake. Oh thank God."
I frowned at the voice that wasn't familiar yet I felt a sense of peace wash over me.
"Mom?" I asked, my eyes widening in shock. Even after three years she still hadn't changed.
"W-what are you doing here?" I asked, feeling a headache beginning.
"I'm so sorry, Phoebe. All of this was my fault." She looked downcast as she grasped my hand. I pulled it away from her.
"You left." I whispered, feeling tears in my eyes. "All this happened because you left."
"I'm sorry Phoebe. I was scared. Of your father. He hit me, every night. And I'm so sorry, I didn't think he would ever hurt you, he loved you more than anything."
"Except money, obviously." I sighed.
"Phoebe, sweetheart. I'm going to make it up to you. I promise. But first, there's someone you probably want to say goodbye too."

*. *. *.

I groaned as Mom helped me out of the car,
"I'm going to do more damage to myself with these stupid things." I said, waving about the crutches.
"Careful, you don't want to hurt anyone." Mom laughed and I watched her warily, remembering how it had been before she left. Perhaps now dad was gone...
"Zoe!" I called. She looked up in surprise and beamed at me. She was currently riding Raven.
I limped over to her Mom and Dad, aided by my mom and the crutches.
"Phoebe, are you okay?" Maggie asked. "I should have noticed and been there for you." She said worriedly.
"It's okay. You were kind to me, that's all I needed." I thanked her. I then waved to Rosie who was sitting impatiently in the car.
At that moment, Becky, Jade and Marcus walked over. Becky hopped off Raven and gave me a gentle hug,
"I'm glad you're feeling better, Phoebe."
"Promise you'll message every day." Becky said sadly.
"Promise you won't forget us." Jade added.
"That can never happen." Zoe promised as she pulled us all in for a group hug.
"Hey, I'm not leaving yet. I have to stay under hospital supervision for a while."
"We're going to miss you." Becky sighed.
"Pony squad forever!" Zoe joked.
"We'll Untack him for you." Marcus said, taking Raven's reins from Zoe. Then Pin walked over to us.
I smiled at him, not forgetting that he had visited me multiple times in the hospital.
"Look after him for me?" Zoe asked.
"I'm sure Marcus can look after himself." Pin replied.
"No, no, no, I meant -"
We both laughed at Zoe's flustered state before she understood it was a joke. I stood closer to Pin and he turned to me,
"Nice crutches." He commented. I rolled my eyes playfully.
"Don't be fooled, these are deadly weapons. Trust me, I know."

We all laughed when a car and horse trailer suddenly pulled up behind us.
I looked over in confusion at my mom and Zoe's parents as a lady got out of the car.
"There he is, load him up." She said sternly. She had an unlikeable aura and a pinched sort of expression as though she thought everyone and everything was below her.
"No, you can't take him." Zoe protested. I limped over to them on my crutches, Pin following, watching carefully so I didn't fall.
"I am Meredith Moore. This is my horse. His papers." She handed Marcus a file. "He was stolen as a foal, and I've been searching for him for four years."
We all looked at the papers in shock.
"This horse is of royal bloodline. His mother was Ruby Dawn."
"She was a world famous horse racer." Jade informed us.
"She literally won every race that was ever raced ever!" Becky exclaimed.
"I knew Raven was special." Jade whispered as she looked over our shoulders.
"His name isn't Raven. It's Midnight Blue." Meredith corrected.
"Don't worry," Becky turned to Raven, "My middle name'a Lavinia."
"Put him in the trailer." Meredith ordered, we all began protesting but there was nothing we could do. The guy struggled to get Raven in the trailer so Meredith asked for Zoe'a help.
She turned to look at me sadly and all I could do was shrug unhappily, shaking my head.
As she emerged from the trailer, Zoe was crying and she headed straight to her car.
"I'll see you soon, okay?" I promised.
I backed away from the car and turned to lean on Pin but he had walked backwards ever so slightly and we next to the horse trailer. When he caught me looking he walked forwards casually.
"What did you just do?" I asked, a trace of a smile on my lips. Pin shrugged, raising an eyebrow and smirking.
I laughed as the trailer suddenly burst open and Raven raced out.
We all followed the horse down the path. I groaned at the slow speed I was going. Pin grinned at me before crouching down in front of me. I laughed at him before dropping my crutches and climbing onto his back. He straightened his back and raced after the others. I laughed hapilly as the wind blew through my hair, feeling the afternoon sun warming my face, all around me the British countryside spread out like a refreshing blanket and I was sure that I'd never been happier.
"You can't take him! I won't let you!" Zoe protested, standing next to Raven.
"How dare you tell me what to do with my horse!"
"You may own him but you don't know him! Not like I do. And you definitely don't know what's best for him. He's not just some super valuable racehorse. He's a frightened, messed up runaway who's found a safe home, and people who love him. And you can't just waltz in here and expect -"
"Fine."
"What do you mean fine?" Zoe asked, mid rant.
"I'm no fool. I can see the bond between the two of you. Someone's got to train this horse. I suppose it might as well be you."
"Wait, okay, I didn't mean -"
"Well stable him here at Bright Fields, he'll  need a lot of work but you've made an effective start, in sure we can bring him up to standard."
I hugged my arms tighter around Pins shoulders, beaming at Zoe.
"But I'm flying back to the States today." Zoe whispered.
"Are you?" Meredith asked.
"I'm done!" Rosie threw her hands in the air, stomping back to the car, " I'm done, I'm going back to L.A."
I smiled at Zoe's parents as her dad followed Rosie and her mom stayed next to her.

*. *. *.

I cheered as Zoe hugged Raven and her mom. Pin whirled around, me still on his back and I shrieked happily.
"Careful!" I cried with a laugh.
I then gasped,
"Mom, if Zoe's staying here then..."
"Phoebe..." She sighed.
"Please, Mom!" I begged, climbing down off Pin's back. He grabbed my crutches and handed them to me. I limped over to my mom, staring at her pleadingly.
"I'd have to sort something out with the stables. I think I can manage them from abroad though." She smiled at me. I spun around and hugged Pin.
"Now, who's this handsome young man?"