*31*

After a few minutes of stunned silence, everyone had flooded out of the venue and only the decorations were still flashing. Zoe was sat on the floor next to her birthday cake when I walked over.
"5 second rule?" I shrugged as I slumped down next to her. She chuckled and rolled her eyes at me. Only moments later however, I heard more footsteps.
"My aunt has a saying... floor cake, still cake." Becky brandished a handful of hot pink forks and I snatched one, diving into the cake quickly. The two girls looked at me concernedly.
"What...?" I mumbled. "It tastes amazing." My words were almost indistinguishable through my mouthful of floor cake.
Becky gave me a slightly questioning look before diving in too.
"I can't believe you don't like chocolate cake!" She muffled to Zoe.
"Isn't it tragic." I agreed, peering round Zoe's shoulder. The birthday girl in between just shook her head with a faint smile.
"Am I a horrible person?" Zoe suddenly asked.
I almost choked on my cake, looking to Becky for an answer, too afraid what I might say.
"Everyone knew this wasn't the day you wanted. They all had their own needs. You just got kinda lost."
"But still pretty ungrateful for freaking out like that, huh?"
It's not wrong to want things a certain way. Be true to yourself. And if you know something is real never stop believing. Happy birthday Zoe."

Becky groaned like an old man as she stood up from the floor and I waved goodbye as she exited the tent. Zoe had just turned to me, connecting gazes with such an intensity that it shocked me.
"Phoebe- "
She was cut off by the shrill shriek of her phone.
"Hello?"
"Well your party was a complete disaster."
"Yeah, thanks for that."
I rolled my eyes as Mia's dull voice echoed through the phone.
"Cheer up, your training's on track. You should do well at the friendlies. Meredith will be there, she wants to see how you and Raven are doing."
I noticed Zoe beginning to bite her lip nervously.
"But me and Raven are in a weird place right now."
"James says you're doing great. Stick with his programs, his methods and you'll get to keep that horse. Oh and uh... happy birthday."
I could only imagine the smug smile on her face that I'd experienced so many times before. Was it strange that I even missed Mia. I shook my head frantically. What was I thinking.

Holloway had its good points. Maybe not many but Alex was one of them. And Gaby wasn't too bad...
I stood up, groaning as my spine clicked multiple times. I then extended my hands for Zoe to take.
When we stood up, facing one another I held her hands tightly.
"Look Zo, you cant just wish your problems away, okay? You have to fix them."
She nodded.
"Well then let me start by doing this. You're my best friend so I'm not only hurting Marcus and Pin, I'm hurting you too. And I can't apologise enough. Especially after all that stuff with your dad. I didn't even know Phoebe."
"I hid it well. Please don't worry about me. I just need some time. Anyway, Pin's changed recently and I think being away from him will allow me to focus on myself. And my friendships." I nudged her shoulder.
She smiled fondly before turning serious, grabbing my hands even tighter.
"I've been so wrapped up in my own thoughts. I know how you must have felt betrayed and I'm not expecting you to forgive me for that just yet. I'll work for your forgiveness. I think I need some time alone so I can figure out what I want and stop hurting those around me. I love you Phoebs."
"Love you too, Zo." I smiled as I embraced her. "Now you need to fix you and Raven. Go. I'll be here when you get back."
My heart hurt slightly as she raced away but I couldn't quite pinpoint just one reason why.

*.           *.          *.  

The next day I groaned as my alarm went off. It was too early and I snuggled my knees to my chest, wishing I could sleep forever. Unfortunately my mom knew me too well and appeared at my door only a few minutes later with a plate of toast and a mug hot chocolate.
"Rise and shine, sweetie."
"Ugh, mom!" I groaned trying to wriggle away from her as she sat next to me on my bed, thankfully after putting down the breakfast.
"You never did like mornings." She chuckled, pressing a kiss on my forehead.
"Come on, good luck for today."
I bit the inside of my cheek as I though of the prospect of seeing Pin again today. All the positive feelings I once had for him had twisted and warped so much that I couldn't stomach the thought of talking to him. Still, at least I had Alex.
"Right, up you get, I'm leaving in twenty minutes, with or without you.' Mom declared before exiting the room.
I slipped into the smart uniform belonging to Holloway and skipped - more like fell - down the stairs to yank on my shoes and rush to my mom's car.
"Just in time." She quipped as she started the car, pulling out of the driveway while I checked I had everything in my bag.

*.          *.           *.  

When I arrived at Holloway, everyone was assembled in the hall.
"We're just waiting for Pin." Gaby told me. I inhaled sharply and nodded, choosing to stand beside Alex. As I walked past Gaby, she stopped me.
"Play nice today. Please." Her eyes looked up at me pleading and I nodded reluctantly.
Standing next to Alex I felt a sharp jab in my ribcage and turned to him accusingly. He feigned innocence and I chuckled.
Once Pin arrived, we all piled into a smart black car, Pin in the passenger seat which Callum driving and Alex, Gaby and myself squished into the back.
The close proximity to Alex meant I could offer a returning jab in his ribcage while stifling a snort at the ridiculous swirl that left his mouth. Gaby rolled her eyes playfully.
"You can this punctual?!" Mia shouted across the yard as we got out of the car.
"Oh jeez." I attempted to hide myself behind Alex who just chuckled and shoved me in front of him.
"Traitor!" I hissed spinning in my heel to face him. Reluctantly I turned back to Mia, allowing her a polite smile.
"You call this a stables?" Callum retorted.
"Chairs in the paddock, jumps in the far field, Pin will show you where the muck rakes are."
We all stood slightly perplexed.
"Well, the yard's not going to clean itself." Mia urged.
"Welcome to Bright Fields." Pin rolled his eyes.