* 2 *

I dressed quickly and put two slices of bread in the toaster. I popped my head into Dad's office and waved goodbye, saying I was going for a walk with Zoe, which wasn't too far from the truth. I'd be with Zoe.
*          *          *
"Zoe!" I called, running up to my curly haired friend.
"Phoebe! Come on, I want to show you around." She beamed.
Thankfully the weather today was much better and the sun shone down on us.
We walked into the area where all the horses' stalls were.
"This is Raven." Zoe introduced. I looked over the bottom half of the door to see a sleek black horse, chomping on hay in the corner.
Suddenly Zoe unlatched the door and walked over to him.
"Hey Raven." She greeted. I smiled as I watched them but stayed near the door, unsure if he'd like strangers.
"Hey Zoe, how's it going. Oh, who's this?" A perky young blonde had appeared at the door with a dark haired girl next to her.
"Hey." I raised a hand shyly.
"Guys, this is Phoebe. Phoebe this is Becky and Jade."
"Nice to meet you." I smiled as Zoe pulled them into the stall.
"Look what I found in Pin's hoodie." she said, pulling out a sedative bottle.
"These are the same ones that were stolen." Jade said, inspecting the bottle.
"Pin's the thief!" Becky cried.
"Careful, I don't think they heard you in Iceland!" Zoe scolded.
"Sorry," Becky whispered.
"Wait a second. Hold up! What is going on?" I demanded.
Zoe sighed and turned to me,
"Phoebe, I'm really sorry, you're my best friend and, I totally trust you it's just, you don't know enough of what's going on. Wait for me by the hay bales, okay?"
I sighed and nodded, bidding all three girls farewell as I walked out if Raven's stall.
*          *          *
I was walking past a store room of some sort when the door swung open in my face. Luckily I jumped back before it could make contact with my face
"Watch it!" I cried.
Suddenly a head popped around the door.
"Another one?" I heard him say quietly before adding, "You should watch where you're going."
He was quite handsome, in a moody, mysterious way.
"I was, doofus." I muttered before walking around him.
"Excuse me?"
"Nothing," I smiled at him before turning and running.
*          *          *
Zoe joined me on the hay bales and apologised profusely.
"Hey, Zo, it's fine. Don't sweat it." I assured her.
She nodded and pulled out her phone, staring intently at the screen. I was about to talk to her when we heard a noise. Looking down it was the sane guy from earlier. The one who nearly hit me with the door. No hard feelings there.
"Oh hey." Zoe called. "My sister has got me watching all these fashion vlogs. You know, I'm all about the fashion." I snorted quietly as she explained herself.
"Yeah, right."
The strange boy turned his intense glare to me but I didn't lower my gaze.
"You could use a hat." He said, returning his gaze to Zoe.
"Is that a hot tip for the coming season?"
"Riding hat. Sam's got Major tacked up in the arena. Says you're on the free riding list."
"Oh, no, no, I'm not riding today."
"Suit yourself. I'll tell her you're busy." He began to walk away but Zoe called after him,
"What are you up to? Got any plans?"
"Sam's asked me to paint jumps in the arena." He replied, grabbing the wheelbarrow handles. He began to walk away and I turned to Zoe.
"Why don't you want to try riding, Zo? No-one will find out. It's so fun, you feel so free and it's like - I don't even know. It's hard to explain." I sighed happily.
"You sound like you speak from experience." The boy called up.
"Oh, uh, yeah. I've ridden before. A little."
I nodded as I trailed off vaguely. Zoe looked at me disbelievingly.
"A little?"
"Come on Zoe!" I pleaded. She sighed and nodded.
"Wait!" She called after Cheekbone guy, "It'd be a shame to waste practice lessons. Tell Sam I'll be there in five."
*          *          *
I followed Zoe into a small room and she headed over to a shelf with riding hats on. There were also boots and blankets and other equipment one might need for riding a horse, scattered around. Zoe picked up a stripy purple hat and placed it on her head. I laughed as it didn't fit on her head.
"Looks a little on the small side."
I jumped as a voice called out from behind us. I turned around and saw the dark haired boy. Wow. He was good looking.
"Marcus. Are you hiding?"
"Me, no, I was um, checking wether we still had that leak."
He moved the bucket under the sink and it sloshed.
"Yeah, I need to fix that." Zoe just looked at him and I raised an eyebrow. His eyes flickered to both of us before looking down at the floor.
"I think Becky and Jade are stalking me."
"I'm sure that's not true." Zoe assured him.
"I found this. It's a map of... me, I think."
"You should be flattered." Zoe said.
"I've got enough to do already."
"Aww Poor Marcus. Doesn't like being adored by all the girls in the yard... I'm kidding. I'll talk to them."
"Thank you!" He nodded gratefully. I had already at this point turned around and was reaching for a hat that I thought would fit Zoe.
"Try the one on the top..."
I turned around with the black hat in my hands and gave it to Zoe. Marcus looked at me strangely before asking,
"Sorry, what was your name?"
"Hi, I'm Phoebe. I lived in LA with Zoe but I've moved here with my dad."
"Nice to meet you Phoebe. I'm Marcus," He said, extending his hand.
"Right then, let's go." Zoe smiled as she brushed past us, clutching her hat.
*          *          *
"Sam, this is Phoebe." I waved again as I was introduced to another person.
"It's nice to meet you Phoebe. Do you ride?" She asked.
"A little, I suppose." I shrugged.
"She's amazing!" Zoe praised and I blushed lightly.
"Maybe you can show us later?" Sam asked.
"Mhm." I nodded.
"Okay, do you want to wait over there?" Sam asked, pointing over the fence to where Cheekbones was painting fences.
"Hey, I'm Phoebe." I introduced myself as I walked over. Marcus walked in moments later. I smiled as Zoe and the horse walked around.
"Pin." The guy said after a while. Pin, wasn't he sedative boy?
"Nice to meet you Pin."
I turned my attention back to Zoe who was doing really well for her first time riding.
"Do you ride?" Pin asked after a while.
I sighed and turned my back to Zoe and Major, the horse, leaning my back against the fence.
"My mom, she owns stables in Texas. She always joked that I'd been riding since before I could walk. I loved it. It was my way of getting away from all the drama. She was a Horse Vet. She was teaching me also, how to look after them when they're ill. I wanted to be just like her. Then my parents divorced and, here I am. Sorry, I don't know why I just said all that." I apologized.
"No, no, it's fine " Pin said, studying my face thoughtfully.
I turned around as I heard Sam tell Zoe to take her hands off the reins and lift them into the air.
"Whooh! Go Zoe!" I cheered and clapped as she smiled blissfully.
"Now open your eyes." Sam called. Suddenly a girl walked up next to me.
"Marcus, I need help with the jumps."
"Five minutes okay." She sighed and pushed me slightly as she walked away.
"Excuse me?" I asked.
"Oh great, not another one."
"Who do you think you are?" I scoffed as she tossed her hair and walked away. Zoe looked over at me with a smile but it dropped as she looked behind me. I turned around, only to notice that Pin was missing.
"Make him stop! Make him stop!" Zoe cried. She ran over to me and tugged on my arm, dragging me along.
The girl from before stalked up to us,
"Now look, I know everyone thinks you're some sort of riding guru but let me tell you something," She said, getting all up in Zoe's face. Zoe looked at her before marching away silently. I smirked slightly as the girl yelled at us. Zoe ran into Raven's stall, me close behind her.
"I found this. Someone's been filming the horses." I sighed. Of course it couldn't be Pin. Zoe said so herself, innocent until proven guilty. Suddenly my phone buzzed. It was my dad.
"Shoot, Zo, I gotta go. I'll be right back. Five minutes, I promise. Nice meeting you Pin" I smiled and waved as I ran out of the stall, across the road and through a hole in the bush. I then raced through the two fields, thankful that I was wearing appropriate footwear.
"Hey Dad!" I called as I walked into the house.
"Ah, Phoebe." He said as he came down the stairs. They were wooden and made a lot of noise so I looked up expectantly.
"Take this, and can you go to the shop. We need this," He said, handing me a twenty and a list of food.
"K, thanks Dad, see you later."
"You're a star!" He called as I raced back out the door, closing it behind me before sprinting down the field.
I made it to the bush and in my haste, and due to the fact that the road was often quiet, I didn't look both ways down the road. I raced out into the road and a car horn beeped. I jumped and stumbled backwards, tripping over a large stone or perhaps my own feet. I landed on my butt and winced as I scratched my hand. Looking up I realised it was a police car and my eyes widened. The window rolled down and the officer called out,
"Are you alright?"
"Yeah, I'm fine!" I laughed awkwardly, waving my hand to reassure them.
I was surprised however as I sat on the ground with a sore butt and bruised ego that Pin was the one in the back seat who stared at me as the car drove past. I frowned as our gazes connected.
I stood and brushed my hands together, wincing at the small cut. I then ran into the stables to find Zoe.
"What just happened? I saw Pin, in a police car."
"He's the Horse Thief." Zoe fold me.
"What, no way?" I gasped.
"I totally knew that." Becky said.
"You said it was the Ghost Pony yesterday." Jade laughed. I smiled at the strange girls before turning to Zoe.
I've gotta go into town. I have a list." I said, displaying the bright pink post it with  my Dad's familiar scrawl.
"See you tomorrow. Are you coming to Pony Camp" Zoe called.

"I'll  be there!"

"Bye!" Becky and Jade said in unison. I waved at them all before walking down the long lane into town.