*35*

// unedited //
We probably looked an odd sight as we rushed out the door in our pyjamas, chucking on coats and Wellington boots over them. We had nothing on our minds other than the stables though and I ran desperately, overtaking the girls and ignoring the odd slapping sounds my welly boots made as they collided with the dewy early morning ground.
The sun still hadn't risen yet and the only light came from the flames that seemed to have doubled in size and were a lot more threatening from up close.
Maggie, Zoe's mom had ordered Rosie to stay in the house as us girls raced across the field, the desperate neighing of horses reaching our ears the closer we got.
As I turned a corner I almost fell to the floor in shock as I came face to face with one of the large beasts. The horse had reared above me in fear and I dodged with a racing heart.

"Someone's let out the horses!" I called to the girls behind me, voice cracking slightly with relief. I went from horse to horse, checking them for any indication of burns or injury but they all seemed to be content in the dark field, if a little shaken.
"Raven!"
"Bob!"
I looked around surprisedly at the shouts from the two girls. With a quick scan of the paddock I confirmed that the two horses belonging to my best friends were in fact missing. My eyes widened and I started to head towards the main stables, the heat of the fire like staring the sun straight in the face.
"No, Phoebe wait!"
I felt a strong grip on my wrist and turned to see Zoe staring at me pleadingly,
"You can't go in there, you'll get hurt."
I smiled slightly at the concern lacing her tone before turning back.
"It's ok... look." I pointed towards the jet black horse emerging from the flames like a raven, soaring across the field to stand before us.
"Raven! It's okay, you're safe now."
Both our hands flew to his coat to calm him. Unfortunately Becky wasn't so content.
"Where's Bob?"
I'd never heard her sound so helpless.
"Bob?" She has been wandering round the loose horses for a few minutes with no success.
"Becky! Zoe! Phoebe!"
By this point Maggie had caught up to us.
"How did the horses get here?"
"Someone must've let them out." Zoe replies.
"Bob where are you?"
Suddenly a car pulled up and sirens could be heard in the distance.
Mia jumped out of the car and raced over to us,
"Where's Firefly?" She was already out of breath.
"I can't see firefly." She started to panic.
"Ten horses." Maggie counted. "We're missing two."
"They must still be in the stables." I gasped.
I turned to look at the roaring flames surrounding the stables with dread.
Suddenly there was a large roar of bribing wood and the flames reared twice as high. Desperate neighs echoed around the surrounding countryside.
"Firefly!" Mia shrieked, dashing forward.
"Mia no!" Zoe called after her. "It's too dangerous!"
"Don't you dare!" Maggie shouted as we all darted after Mia who was heading straight for the fire. The sirens were now unbearably loud but they were interrupted by the sound of hooves as the two missing horses raced out of the flames.
"Bob must have done his party trick to open all the stable doors." Becky realised as she rushed to her horse.
"He saved Firefly." Mia realised gratefully.
"And all the other horses." I added. "He saved them Becky."
"He's a hero." Mia admitted, grateful that her own horse was okay.
"Bob you're the best, I love you." Becky sighed tearfully, arms thrown around the horses neck, fingers entwined with his long mane.
Bob nickered in response but something sounded off and the creature stumbled slightly.
"Bob? Bob, what's wrong?"
Zoe, Mia and I watched with widening eyes as Bob struggled to the floor and Becky stood helplessly above him.
"Bob?" She looked up at us tearfully, hands frantically flying all over the poor creature.
"I'll call my mom." I assured her as I knelt down next to her. There wasn't much I could do to ease his pain without and equipment or medicines so I settled for stroking his neck gently.

*.          *.           *. 

The sun was rising by the time I left the makeshift tent that had been erected around the poorly horse.
My mom had arrived only ten minutes after I called her with her emergency kit but she required a team to help which took about an hour.
An hour of sitting in a damp, dark field. It must've taken its toll on Becky so I'd decided to go and fetch her a drink. Luckily there was a kettle and I managed to find some got chocolate powder hidden away in a cupboard in the office.
I returned to the tent in time to see Zoe and Jade arrive. Zoe had been waiting nervously in the stables, resting on the hay while I either paced or sat beside Becky.
I smiled at the two girls sombrely as we entered the tent.
"Hey. How is he?" Zoe asked.
"You know Bob. Loves to be the center of attention." Becky chuckled lightly. I could tell she was trying to mask her feelings and handed her the steaming mug. She took it with an appreciative smile.
"Mom?" I turned to my mother as she knelt in the floor beside the horse, her tools all laid out beside her, stethoscope adorning her neck.
I hadn't seen her actively helping animals in such a long time.
"He's being a really brave horse." She patted him with admiration," but he's having difficulty breathing." She stood and gently lay a blanket over his hind legs.
"Thank you." Becky whispered.
Zoe came over and knelt beside the two of us.
"Guys. It's okay. Bob has been through worse." Becky tried to assure us when she saw Jade standing unsurely, and looking rather upset, at the entrance to the tent.
"Like the time he drank my freakshake and was I'll for three weeks. All he needs is cuddles and mints and Mr Duck. Wait, where's his Mr duck toy? Bob needs his Mr Duck toy. That's what'll get him through this. No wonder he's so down."
I sighed as I lifted a hand to gently rub her shoulder.
"Becky I don't think this is like that. Okay, Bob is really sick." I tried to affirm gently.
"Don't be ridiculous. Bob saved all the horses. Bobs the hero. The hero never dies." She said emotively, leaning against the poor horse. He groaned slightly and my heart tugged for both and the hero Bob.

A/N
Hey guys, it's been a while - a year to be exact. Sorry about that. Life got in the way a lot and the time really has flown for me. Sorry for keeping you waiting but hopefully I'll be able to update more now that I can procrastinate schoolwork more successfully at home.
Stay safe at home guys,
Much love
Lucy xx