*32*

Not as long a chapter as I'd hoped but I wanted to update for you guys. Sorry I've been super busy recently since I got a job.

I motioned for the Holloway kids to follow me as I led them through the yard, smiling at Suzy and Jade as we passed them. They returned equally enthusiastic smiles.
We then headed into the field where our horses were already waiting in order to prepare for the 'friendlies'.
Mia was very certain that she would win but I wasn't sure how seeing as Zoe's solution to needing time to sort herself out was to basically run away. I understood why. Hormones am I right? Still her timing was slightly dodgy.
I petted Joey lovingly, turning my head to see Alex observing his own horse in a caring yet critical way.
"Everything okay bud? You feeling up to the challenge today? We'll be great." He whispered quietly.
My translation was helped only by the soft formation of his lips as he whispered intimately to his horse. I blinked rapidly as I realised I'd been staring a little too long.
I turned round to ask Gaby a question only to see that she was a little way away, talking to Bright Field's trainer. I began walking towards them, hoping she wasn't getting into trouble but Mia beat me, I slowed my pace as they began talking, overhearing only James' confession that he and Gaby were sisters.
I stopped in shock as James continued, revealing that he and Gaby were separated to different homes. Hearing that Gaby went to a bad home slightly explained her antisocial behaviour but she seemed to get along with me fine.
"She's always been jealous of me. And now she's jealous of my new home here at Bright Fields. She came here threatening to tell lies about me."
I frowned as her brother continued; clearly their relationship was not a good one.
"I'm not lying. Look at this..." she held up a small rectangular piece of worn card but Mia lifted her hand up, dismissing Gaby's evidence.
"Look, I don't know how you do things at Holloway, but at Bright Fields we stick together."
"Oh really, Mia? Cause you sure turned on me quick enough." I scoffed. Mia spun round, her usual pompous expression scrawled across her face.
"That's because you betrayed us."
"Mhm, yet you never stopped to hear the full story. Besides wouldn't family try and understand one another? Forgive each other? You don't even have a forgiving bone in your body Mia. Don't preach to us about family when you would so easily turn on your own."
I grabbed Gaby's arm gently and pulled her back to our horses, not missing James' snarky remark,
"Nice try, sis."

*. *. *.

I was watching Gaby and Alex riding round the paddock, waiting for Pin whom, as much as I had begun to dislike was still my training partner. I was about to advise the two on their technique but before I could even take a step forward, an iron grip had tightened around my wrist.
"What-?" I looked down in shock to see Rosie's small hand surrounding mine.
"Rosie? Hi! What are you-" I couldn't even finish my sentence before she was dragging me across the yard. She had a surprising amount of strength - particularly for someone of her size.
"Are you okay?"
No response.
"Rosie?"
She continued to drag me past the stables.
"Rosie, seriously what going on?" I begun to raise my voice exasperatedly and it seemed to work as she let me go. But then she shoved me into the rec room.
Rosie clearly hadn't accounted for the fact that the small ridge was almost impossible to avoid tripping over when you walked into the room normally so the added shove meant I literally flew into the room. Straight into the arms of the person I least wanted to see right now.
He grunted slightly  and I cringed at how familiar his warmth was and how the arms that had held me so many times before were so gentle around my waist.
I coughed awkwardly as I noticed the room was full.
"Sorry." I whispered lowly.
"It's okay." He replied just as quietly.
I realised that his hands were still on my waist at the same time as he did. Hastily I pulled away and stood beside him in the circle of people.
"Why are we here?" I asked, looking around. The selection of people assembled included Pin, stood to my right, Susie opposite him next to Mia, Rosie, Becky, Jade and finally Marcus standing by the door.
"My sister's gone missing."
My eyes widened almost comically and I coughed nervously.
"Maybe she just needed some space?" Susie suggested.
"I've got no idea. Look guys I'm sure she'll be fine. Shouldn't we focus on getting ready for friendlies?" I tried to sway them.
Pin looked at me with a calculating stare. I gulped nervously. He always could tell when I wasn't telling the full truth.
"Maybe she's ex-horsted?" I cringed at Becky's pun. Along with many other suggestions I tapped my foot nervously.
Zoe couldn't have at least made up a story to cover up. Now the attention was on me. I was practically burning to a crisp under Mia's glare. However her only worry was that Zoe was their best rider and without her Bright Fields wouldn't win the friendlies. I had to admit my acting was probably suspicious. If I didn't know her whereabouts I'd be freaking out.
"You're right. I'm sure she can't be far. I'll check the beach." I suggested, quickly exiting the room before anyone could stop me.
I dashed across the yard; the cool air was mightily refreshing. I had almost grabbed Joey from his stall when I felt a vice grip on my upper arm. I winced at the hold and turned to face an angry looking Pin.
"Where is she?"
"What? Why would you think- "
"Don't pretend. I know you better than most Phoebs. I know when you're lying."
I cringed at the nickname that fell from his lips with such ease.
"I know you know where she is. So tell me."
"Why? So you can go and be her knight in shining armour? She doesn't need rescuing Pin! She did this to get away from everyone. From everything! From you!"
I wrenched my arm out of his grip, tears burning fiercely in my eyes. I paused as I got to the door frame, Joey following me obediently. I peered back over my shoulder. He stood still. Shocked. Even more so when I spoke, soft as a whisper,
"Did I really mean so little to you?"