*29*

*unedited*
Early update y'all :)

"Okay, deep breaths in. And out." I stood in front of my mirror, constantly smoothing down the fabric of my dress. I had followed a tutorial for my makeup and my hair was freshly washed.
However calm I looked on the outside was in complete contrast to my fluttering heartbeat and tornado of thoughts.
As I seated myself on my bed to slip on my heels, I looked over to the vanity where the little box perched.
Tonight was going to be all about mending my friendship with Zoe. Forget about the boys. Although I did need to perhaps warn her about Marcus. And find out how she felt about Pin. I'd rather her choose one boy than string along two. Even if it meant she chose Pin.
With one last check in the mirror, I grabbed my phone and and the present before rushing down the stairs.

*.         *.          *.  

Upon entering the tent I felt my stomach clench uncomfortably. I'd never been the best in social situations, particularly by myself. However, the most peculiar sight was Becky, sitting at a table, sans Jade.
"Hi there." I smiled at her as she stuffed another bite of cake into her mouth, somewhat aggressively.
"Phoebe! Come sit with me, act like we're having so much fun." She manhandled me into the seat opposite and I gave, what I hoped was a convincing fake laugh.
"Where's jade?" I whispered, following Becky's glare until I saw her sitting with Mia and Suzy.
"Ah."
I couldn't help but feel sorry for my friend. She was often so joyous yet at this moment, she looked utterly crestfallen. Jade didn't look too happy either.
"How've things been without me?"
"Awful." Becky replied, resting her head in her cupped palm. I smiled sympathetically and offered her a hug.
At that moment the crowd started clapping and I automatically did the same.
As I turned around I realised the cheers were for the birthday girl who had appeared in a gorgeous red dress, looking beautiful as ever.
"You should talk to her." Becky spoke quietly.
"Sorry?" I asked as I picked at a cupcake absentmindedly.
"Don't let your friendship be ruined for a misunderstanding. The only way for it to get better is to talk about it." Becky said glumly.
I looked at her while bring my lip. Perhaps she was right. However, Zoe was currently occupied talking to Marcus. At that moment I also saw Pin and Gaby walk in.
I groaned in frustration. Why did this all have to be so complicated.
"Thanks Becky. Maybe you should also take your own advice?" I suggested as I urged her towards Jade.
Just as I had picked up my jacket I looked over to where Zoe had been to see her standing with both Marcus and Pin.
"Oh great." I sighed as I rushed over, my heels clicking against the floor.
"You're so selfish, you have Phoebe yet you wanted me out of the way so you could have Zoe too. You need to make up your mind Pin."
"He doesn't have me actually." I cut in. Marcus turned to look at me with surprise. Zoe's expression matched his and Pin just clenched his jaw broodingly before storming off.
"Zoe can we talk?" I sighed. She turned to me with wide eyes, not expecting me to address her.
"Uh, sure."
I took her forearm and gently dragged her to a table in the far corner of the marquee.
"First off, Happy birthday." I smiled as I sat opposite her and handed her the small box. Zoe took it gingerly and smiled at me.
"Thanks."
"Right. So I'm going to talk and just explain everything from my side first okay? Please just... listen."
She nodded.
"So I stopped talking to you when I left Bright Fields because I was told to cut contact with everyone. I didn't want to at first but then I got jealous and it made it easier to not talk to you and then begin to even dislike you. I'm sorry for that." I admitted.
Looking up I noticed Zoe was paying extreme attention while biting her lip.
"I was jealous I suppose, of how close you and Pin were and I knew I shouldn't be but I couldn't help it. And then..." I took a deep breath, looking at Zoe with pained eyes. "I saw you." My voice cracked. "I saw you on the beach Zoe. With Pin."
She sighed and bowed her head.
"And so I ended it with him and I began to resent you. But then I realised that you're my best friend and despite everything you've done to me I can't hate you. I can't quite forgive you either though. It's just, everything is very confusing right now and so I'm here, as your friend at the very least. I just need some time okay?" I smiled at her, eyes filling with tears.

As she looked up, her eyes mirrored my own and we stood from our chairs to wrap our arms tightly around one another.
"I'm so sorry. Phoebe I can't even begin to explain how much I regret everything. I will do what ever I have to in order to fix us. Okay? I promise you." She cried, nestling her head into my neck.
I nodded, trying to calm my breathing.
"But Zoe," I added as we parted and sat back down. "I think you need to be honest. Both to yourself and the boys."
At this point she has opened the box and read the note wrapped around the ring.
"You're right." She nodded, slipping the ring onto her finger.
I followed behind Zoe and she pulled Marcus to a table and sat at the one next to them to give them privacy. However I could still overhear her words.
"Marcus, I have to tell you something."