* 15 *

I groaned out of boredom as I stared blankly at the poster on the wall opposite my bed for the millionth time. I felt so helpless, trapped in the confines of the four blue walls of my room, my leg propped up at the bottom of the bed on a large pile of pillows.
I decided to occupy myself with listening to the buzz of the Tv that played some cooking show down in the kitchen. I could also hear my mom bustling around making me healthy food from recipes online that she swore would help me get 'better in no time!'
I perked up as I heard a knock on the door, Zoe, Becky and Jade had all been so kind, coming round almost every day to keep me company. I heard murmuring downstairs but no footsteps on the wooden staircase outside my bedroom door. I frowned, who could it possibly be that my mom was taking so much time to talk to them.
Suddenly the familiar tap of heavy feet echoed outside in the hallway. They paused outside my room for a long moment.
A sharp knock on the door could be heard and I swivelled my head to the right.
"Mom, I don't want any more soup, please!" I begged exasperatedly, picking at the delicate stitching on the pillow I cradled in my lap.
"Your mum's soup is lovely."
I assume my expression must have been rather amusing as Pin chuckled deeply.
"Pin! Hi." I laughed shyly, lowering my head. "What're you doing here?" I asked, confusion evident on my face.
"I came to see how you were of course." He shrugged, walking towards the foot of my bed, admiring the posters in the wall.
"How are you?" He asked and I smiled cheerfully at him, with a small "Fine, thank you."
"Phoebe, I mean it. How are you?" He repeated, grabbing my hand and looking deep into my eyes. I gulped nervously revel in in the warmth that seemed to emanate from his hand and wrap me in a warm fuzzy feeling.
I sighed deeply.
"I don't know if I'm honest. Mom treats me so well and it's hard to believe that she's really here sometimes. I don't think she's going to be able to forgive herself for leaving me with... him." I shuddered as I thought of the evil man who I had the unfortunate pleasure of calling my father.
Pin noticed and pulled me closer to him, wrapping his arms around my shoulders comfortingly. I leaned into his shoulder, resting my head against the soft fabric of his shirt. It hadn't really occurred to me before but he smelt really good.
"I'm always here for you Phoebe, just as I've always been." I nodded gratefully.
"Thanks Pin. If only you could magically make my leg better so that I could go riding. I think I'm going mad stuck in here."
Pin grinned, a mischievous glint in his eyes.
"About that..."
I watched him warily as he pulled back the covers and meant forwards, scooping his hands under my legs and the other arm around my back, lifting me into the air.
"Pin, Pin, Pin, no oh my god." I gasped as I clung him to like a child before letting out a giggle at my reaction.
"Aren't I heavy?" I queried, peering down at him.
"I'm stronger than I look." Was his simple reply.
I eyed the narrow staircase warily as Pin headed towards it.
"Is this really a good plan, oh we're going down the stairs. Okay then." I mumbled as I clung to his neck, burying me head in his shoulder as we headed down the stairs.

*.          *.            *. 

The sun shone brightly on the leaves of the teee above us, causing a beautifully dappled pattern to fall onto the path as Pin pushed my wheelchair.
Mom had been waiting triumphantly at the bottom of the stairs with a wheelchair and a beaming smile that radiated warmth. I thanked her fondly as Pin pushed me away from the house, rolling my eyes as she mouthed at me behind his back, "he's so cute!"
"Where are we going?" I asked curiously, closing my eyes and smiling blissfully at the warmth of the late afternoon sun.
"Now that would be telling." I could hear the smirk in Pin's voice behind me as I flapped an arm behind me, connecting with his chest.
He chuckled quietly in response. I looked around us curiously, still unfamiliar with the country roads of the small island.
I strained my ears as we slowed down, next to a large hedge. I could faintly hear laughter and talking, it seemed as though there was a fair number of people on the other side of the hedge.
As we turned the corner, Pin lifted me out of the wheelchair. I looked down at the grassy field in front of us and understood his hesitance to push the wheelchair into its soft depths.
"Phoebe!!!" I felt a grin slowly spread across my face as three girls bounded towards me happily.
"What a gentleman." Jade gushed as she watched Pin set me down on one of the four picnic blankets that had been put together to make a large square. In the middle was a large assortment of all my favourite foods.
"Guys this is amazing!" I laughed in disbelief.
"It was all Pin's idea." Zoe grinned and I looked up at the tall boy who turned away abashed.
"It wasn't all me." He mumbled. I chuckled at his reaction before thanking the girls who came and sat around on the picnic blankets.
Marcus came and sat himself next to Zoe, resting an arm over her shoulders as she looked up at him sweetly.
"Bob says he hopes you get well soon." Becky grinned as she learnt over to hug me. I laughed and thanked her.

*.         *.         *.  

The sun was setting low over the trees at the bottom of the field. We were on a slight hill and  so the beautiful British scenery lay in front of us like a vast ever expanding blanket, the sea glinting distantly as the orange glow dipped behind the waves.
The empty food packages littered the ground and I stretched out blissfully, my hurt leg still elevated with a pillow.
"I'm really sorry guys, but I have to go home now." Jade apologised, standing up and stretching. Becky stood with her.
Half an hour later Zoe and Marcus also left, taking the rubbish with them.
"Hey, Pin can you help me into my wheelchair?" I asked. When he didn't reply I turned to look at him and jumped slightly at the closeness.
His eyes scanned my face and I admired his features, his sharp jaw and cheekbones and his bright blue/green eyes.
"Hi." I whispered and he chuckled, his breath fanning over my face.
I watched him carefully as he inches closer, eyes fluttering shut as his lips hovered over my own. I leant forwards and pressed my lips against his, sighing happily.
"Get a room!"
We broke apart laughing as Zoe and Marcus popped their heads above the hedge. Pin lifted me into the air and placed me gently in my wheelchair, as though I was made of glass, and we followed Marcus and Zoe back down the road.
The evening air was filled with the rumble of the wheelchair on the path and the chatter of Marcus, Zoe and Pin as I watched them all with a large smile on my face.
This is what it felt like to be loved and happy. I finally felt at peace.

A/N A lot of you asked for me to update this and as the series on Netflix finished I kinda just made a little cute chapter for you all. However, the second series of Free Rein should be on Netflix, on 6th July so expect updates after that date 😊
Love you all,
Lucy xx