* 6 *

I poked my head around the door to my Dad's study, catching his attention.
"I'm going out."
"Where?" He demanded. He was still slightly angry about the horse riding thing.
"Just for a walk down to the shop. We need some milk." He nodded and waved a hand carelessly.
"Be back in an hour." He warned and I thanked him before hurrying down the stairs and pulling on my boots.
* * *
I was walking through a large, green, grassy field clutching the cold milk botle when I heard the unmistakable sound of hooves. I turned around in confusion when I heard someond call my name.
"Pin?" I asked as the horse neared me.
"Phoebe, hey what happened yesterd - Are you alright?" He dismounted his horse quickly and I gasped, turning away from him hurriedly.
"Phoebe?" He grabbed my wrist carefully and twisted me around to face him. I gulped as he brought his hand up to my face, brushing the side of my eye with a feather light touch. I felt a blush creeping onto my cheeks bit I winced as Pin brushed the corner of my eye where a small bruise was forming.
"What happened?"
"I-I fell down the stairs. Hit my head right on the corner of the banister. I'm fine though." I shrugged it off with a laugh. Pin's eyes narrowed and he scanned my face for a moment before nodding.
"Has your dad still not budged on his decision." I laughed bitterly.
"No more stables for me. Hey, how's the pony doing?" I asked curiously, walking closer to his horse and petting his snout.
"Perhaps you'd like to see him."
I nodded eagerly before looking down at my slowly numbing hand that clutched the milk bottle.
"I've got to go home first though."
"I can come with you." Pin offered.
"No! I mean, no. It's fine. Just wait here!" I called over my shoulder, already running towards the fence which seperated the field and my house.
"Dad, I got the milk." I called up the stairs as I opened the fridge. There was no reply and I walked up the stairs, peering my head round the study door I found that he was talking on the phone to someone. I mouthed that I was going to read in the field, displaying the book that I had hurriedly grabbed off my bookshelf. He nodded distractedly and shooed me away. Once out of his eyesight I punched the air triumphantly and raced out of the house and into the field where Pin was still waiting on his horse.
I ran up to him, slowing to a walk as I neared the horse.
"Want a lift?" He asked, holding out his hand. I stared at it dumbly for a moment before blushing and pulling myself together.
"Thanks." I said as I accepted his hand and climbed onto the horse behind him, gingerly resting my hands on his waist as the horse started moving.
"Is your dad alright with this?" Pin asked after a moments silence.
I hummed non commitedley and he raised an eyebrow at me as he looked over his shoulder. I looked down at his back clothed with his usual checked shirt. He chuckled quietly and sped up, causing me to wrap my arms tighter around his waist.
* * *
I was sitting next to the injured pony, stroking his mane and Pin was next to me. I chattd to him about how he found the pony and he told me his history with horses. I was listening interestedley when I heard someone calling Pin's name. I looked up expectantly as the frizzy hair of my best friend Zoe appeared in the doorway.
"Zoe!" I said, smiling brightly. Pin however only gave her an annoyed look.
She smiled before frowning and pointing to my eye,
"What happened?"
"Oh you know me. Stupid, clumsy old Phoebe." I joked.
"How's he doing?" She asked. Pin didn't reply and all that could be heard were the cries of the seagulls that flew around the cliffs.
"So, um, I brought you this." Zoe displayed the snall portable radio. "We had a dog when I was little. Baxter. And he got sick. So he used to like listening to the radio. The music, the talking. It calmed him." Pin looked up at me and I motioned to Zoe with my head but he ignored me, looking back down at the grass and hay.
"I thought it might help with your horse." Zoe trailed off. "Okay. Okay I get it." She began to walk away and I nudged Pin with my foot.
"What happened to your dog?"
"Baxter? He got better. He's back in L.A with dad. Probably eating the couch." She admitted with a chuckle. I looked at my watch and sighed.
"Shoot. I've got to get going." I stood up and brushed down my jeans.
"See you Pin." I called as Zoe followed me and we made our way home, linking arms and talking as we walked across the many fields in the setting sun. As we walked past the stables Zoe sighed.
"I asked Sam not to leave him in the Paddock tonight." I looked up and saw she was looking at Raven. He neighed and galloped over to us. I took a cautious step back as he snorted and Zoe reached up to pet him.
"How you doing boy?"
"He really likes you, huh?" I laughed gently.
"He looks so damaged. I wonder what happened to him." I nodded in agreement. There was a certain look in Raven's eye that I had seen in a few horses on my Mom's ranch. She used to say some horses were just born wild.
"Hey!" I looked to my left in surprise as Marcus rode up to the two of us.
"Oh, it's you two. What are you doing?"
"I'm sorry. I know Sam doesn't want me here." Zoe apologised.
"We all want you here Zoe. It's just your mum made it pretty clear."
"Is there any more news about Firefly?" I asked curiously.
"Sam reckons the thieves took him off the island." Marcus admitted sadly before saying farewell and trotting away.
"Well, I'll see you later." I said sadly, hugging Zoe tightly.
I had just started walking away when she called after me.
"Actually, Phoebs, I was wondering if you wanted to have a sleepover with Becky, Jade and I. Tonight at the stables. We're going to watch over the horses."
I thought for a moment, thinking back to my Dad's reaction to finding out I was riding. I shrugged it off however and nodded eagerly.
"Text me the details." I said, wacing over my shoulder as Zoe and I shared identical grins.