Chapter Twelve

Henri sat down next to me. I lifted my legs and wrapped my arms around them.

"Did I say something wrong?" Henri asked. He sounded worried about me.

"Nope, don't worry about it." It would be nice to tell him everything but there was no way that I would be able to. "Just a bad reaction that's all"

"Oh okay" Henri put his hand over mine. I hoped he didn't have some kind of hidden talent and could figure out if I was lying. "Come on lets go inside." he put his arm around me. "Are you sure you are okay?"

"Yes, fine" I didn't look at him. It was better to pretend that nothing was wrong. It would be worse for me if he found that I was a Guardian. He didn't release my hand as we walked back into the castle.

As a matter of fact, it felt nice. Ezra and Thomas were waiting for us by the entrance. Their eyes fell on our linked hands.

"You are fine" Thomas looked shocked to not see me with red eyes.

"Yeah. I'm going to bed." I gave Henri a hug, thanking him. "See you in the morning." they weren't going to drop it. I would see them in my room in less than an hour.

"What do you think Rima is doing?" Thomas paced around my room. "This isn't good. The Duke is going to look for any excuse to come here" he was walking around in my room from end to end. He looked more worried than I felt.

"We can take him down if he shows up" Ezra was lying on my bed with his legs crossed and his hands under his head. He looked the least worried about everything. "We have nothing to worry about, guys."

Thomas let out a frustrated sound.

"Ezra this is bad" Thomas stopped pacing and turned to the both of us. "We are in trouble if they find out who we are and remember what Professor Langston said Iris is rare. When they find out she is a Mirror" he shook his head. "We need to keep our heads low."

"I know" Ezra sat up. "Trust me, i feel stupid for having told the reporters that" he rubbed his head. "If the Duke shows up for us it will be because of me."

"There is nothing that we can do about that now besides that won't be the first magazine to be printed."

I was right. Things didn't get pretty for anybody. Stories were being printed every week. Different students were being named Guardians much to Ezra's annoyance.

I didn't care. I was nervous about the entire thing. I kept thinking that the Duke was going to show up any second demanding to meet the Guardians. We were going to meet with Rima as soon Byron was back with from his meeting.

"Look at this" Ezra came into my room. Thomas and I were working on a project that Ezra should have been helping us with. "That asshole Marcus was named a Guardian." Marcus was another Immortal on the Guard track. He and Ezra had developed a rivalry in daggers.

"Stop taking it personally" I muttered but I couldn't help glancing at the cover. "They are only guessing. They are looking at all the top students."

"Whatever" Ezra snorted. "I can't wait until Marcus finds out we are the Guardians, not those pretentious assholes" I rolled my eyes.

"I find it surprising that they haven't tried to name a girl a Guardian" Thomas smirked at me. I smacked his arm. "They are going to flip when they find out"

"The Immortals are all going to lose it" Ezra chuckled. He threw himself on my bed. "Whatever, we were at least the first edition. They got part of it right" he grinned at us. "Is our project almost done"

Thomas and I glowered at him.

"Is it true?" I heard as we walked to class. I turned and looked at the commotion. Marcus was standing with a whole bunch of girls.