Chapter Twenty-Eight

In the morning, I woke up to a knock on my door. It wasn't even seven in the morning.

Rubbing my eyes, I stumbled to the door.

It took me a moment to realize that it was Byron since I was still half-asleep.

"Get ready" Byron walked into my room.

"Why?" I groaned. He was already dressed and combed. He was wearing black jeans and a black leather jacket. "It is EARLY" I emphasized. "It isn't even seven on a Sunday morning, Byron" I groaned. I made my way back to my bed and threw myself on it.

"The Duke is on his way" Byron was making his way over to me.

"You told me to treat it like any other Sunday soooo I'm sleeping in" I grumbled, grabbing my pillow and putting it over my head.

"Get up" Byron nudged me. "He wants to see ALL the Guard students"

His words made me jump out of bed.

"What? Can he do that?"

"He can do whatever he wants. Ezra and Thomas are up, you have half an hour to get ready. I suggest you look presentable" he arched an eyebrow. Self-consciously, I ran my fingers through my hair. It was probably a hot mess. I wiped my face since there was probably dry drool.

"Rima is going off campus so the Duke won't see her. I will be present watching the three of you. Be very careful, Iris" Byron warned me. He left me to get ready.

All the students on the Guard track were wearing their purple cloaks even the first years. We were arranged by our year within the track, I was considered a first Year Second Series student even though I was only seventeen years old. Within our year we were arranged by our Ranking. Since I ranked first, I was in front of my group. Ezra and Thomas were standing in front as well.

Even though Byron had warned us not to talk to each other, I couldn't help looking over at them.

The Headmistress was standing at the entrance of the door waiting for the Duke to arrive.

"This morning we welcome the Duke and his various guests" The Headmistress turned to us. "Be on your best behaviors. You are representing the school and the Guard you will join someday" She walked around one last time and went outside. There was a flash of lights, and the sound of cars arriving.

I could see Byron standing with Dr. Nan and Dr. Langston. He met my eyes briefly and gave me a stern gaze.

I wanted to roll my eyes but I straightened myself out.

"Welcome" the Headmistress was outside welcoming the Duke and his guests. We all craned our necks to take a look at the guests that were arriving. The Duke was arriving with many other people including men wearing gold ropes around their shoulders. They had a different crest on their chests I hadn't seen before. It was two feathers with a crown in the middle. "Duke of Wentker, welcome to our school. It is an honor to have you here" the headmistress voice was rather strained. She didn't want them on campus.

"Thank you such a warm welcome" the Duke smiled, his eyes slid over the students. He stopped when he saw me. "It is a pleasure to step once again on the grounds. Let me introduce you to the Royal Families Guard" he turned to the four men behind him. I held my breath. Royal Families Guard, there was not such thing.

A look of shock crossed the Headmistress face but she composed herself quickly.

"Welcome" she put her hands together. "Breakfast is about to be served." She held out her hand for him to take the lead.

"Yes, but let me meet the students" the Duke of Wentker smiled. He glanced at me again. "Let me introduce myself to each one"

He walked up to each student and held a brief conversation. It was hard to imagine Ezra and Thomas speaking with him. I hoped they held their temper. My heart started to beat faster the closer he got to me.