Chapter Nine

On Monday morning, we were called to Rimas office. Her face said it all as soon as we walked into her office. We didn't even get a chance to sit down.

"What is this?" Rima slammed a magazine on the table. The Headmistress, Dr. Langston and Dr. Nan were present. I grabbed the magazine. We were on the front page of the magazine. In bold letter it said FUTURE MEMBERS of the GUARD.

"Oh" I grimaced.

"OH- that's all the three of you can say" Rima took a deep breath. "You are supposed to be staying LOW KEY!" she yelled at us.

"We were having fun" Ezra leaned back in the chair comfortably. "We didn't say anything bad."

"You are supposed to get through your training unnoticed" Rima glared down at us. "You made the front PAGE" she hollered.

"Really" Ezra straightened up. I nudged him to keep quiet.

"No" Rima waved her hand. She looked so frustrated. "and Ezra" she put a hand up. She took a few deep calming breaths. "What is that quote"

I leaned against the chair. She lifted the magazine up towards us. She pointed at a picture of us and it said "Possible Guardians"

Ezra squirmed in his chair.

"I was joking. I didn't think they were going to take it seriously." He looked nervous now.

"They are photographers and reporters" she exploded. "They will print anything you say. They know I'm here, they know the Guardians are here" She shook the magazine at us.

The door opened. Byron, Drake and Vino came in.

"And where the hell were you three, you are supposed to be watching these three" she turned on them.

They didn't say anything.

"I do not want to see any of you in the papers again" she flipped through the magazine. She lifted up the magazine. It was a picture with me, Byron and Henri. I grimaced. "Do you understand? I will not let people find out who you are- get through one more year. That's all I am asking." She tossed the magazine onto her desk. "You are all punished"

"What" Ezra, Thomas and I exclaimed.

"And you three as well" she turned to Byron, Vino and Drake. They shook their heads.

"That is not fair" Drake muttered.

Rima put her hands up.

"You are supposed to be watching these three, you are supposed to be their guide so they go unnoticed. You all have repetitions for the next week- the entire week" she crossed her arms. She glared down at us, daring us to contradict her.

"Headmistress" Vino turned to the Headmistress who had been quiet. She shrugged.

"I agree with Rima, we chose you three for a reason. You were supposed to help train the Guardians" she lifted the magazine. There was an amused expression on her face. "I have to say though, I can't believe this story was printed. They must be desperate."

"I can't believe they actually think they figured it out. As we get closer to your Final test, I have to warn you things are not going to get easy." She turned to us. "People are going to talk, rumors will spread quickly. Keep your heads down." she advised us.

She wasn't kidding. Rumors flew quickly and not only that but they weren't good. There were rumors about Ezra and Thomas. People were talking about how bad they were in their respective fields. It got to the point that people were comparing themselves against Thomas and Ezra.

"Its fine, keep walking" i grasped Ezra's hand tightly. There was a nasty poster with Ezra's face on a wall leading to the boys dormitory.

"You know you can't let something like that get to you" Thomas rolled his eyes. There was blow up of the magazine cover. There were rather rude remarks about Thomas, it had been enchanted to randomly yell 'I suck.'