Chapter Twenty-two

We inched backwards. Byron was right behind me and Henri was standing on my right.
"We would like to go." Byron told kCharles sternly. "All we want is to get to campus."
They weren't going to let us go. They wanted me.
"You should go" I barely turned my face to Byron. "They don't want you. They have come for me."
"You know perfectly well I'm not going to leave you" Byron's hand briefly touched mine. "I owe you one"
"Neither am I. Tell my Uncle that he is going to end up killing me if he wants Iris. I don't think he will like having my father after him." Henri took a step towards him lifting his hands.
"You should run" Byron whispered in my ear. "We can hold them back. You have no weapon"
"Nope" I lifted my own hands. Two flames appeared. "Let's see how well he can take me now that I'm no longer disarmed"
Byron didn't release my arm. He tried to tug me backwards but I had another plan.
I had a score to settle with Charles. He wouldn't hurt me while I could actually defend myself.
"You've got spunk kid. A lot of fire in you. It is admirable but don't forget what I can do" Charles slowly took off his gloves. "I've got skills that you can only dream off"
"So do i" I retorted not blinking my eyes.
"Don't kill the Duke's nephew. He isn't to be harmed" Charles warned the others.
i took a deep breathe and did my best to stare down Charles.
The three men surrounded us. We stood with our backs to each other.
"I wish I had a blade on me" I mumbled to myself.
"So do I" Byron responded.
"Watch Charles, don't let him get his hands on you because he will disarm you"
I wish I still had the cloak on me or had long sleeves on. He was a full grown Guardian with disarming skills. He was going to be difficult to fight.
Ares spoke in my head that Dr. Nan and Dr. Langston were on their way. We were on a no travel zone.
I had a plan to end this fight as quickly as possible. I just had to get my hands on him without him touching me.
I held my hands out on either side of me waiting for him to attack. My feet were apart so I could move in any direction.

"Run" Byron shouted at me. Instead of running, I stood my ground.

Charles appeared in front of me. Henri threw a knife missing his shoulder by an inch. I lifted my hands. Large flames appeared. He rolled his eyes at me.

"Do you really think you can hurt me?" he sounded amused by the idea.

"No I'm going to kill you" I lifted my hand throwing a ball of flame at him. I wished I had a sword on me. Byron and Henri were both busy fighting. I could hear shouts around me but I concentrated on him.

"When I get my hands on you" he lifted his sword. The tip met my shoulder. I felt the sharp tip and I cringed. "It is going to be worse then last time"

I tried to not show him any kind of emotion. He didn't need to know that I was scared of him. He didn't need to know that he haunted my dreams. There were so many things that he had caused in me. He had broken me but I had came back from it.

He would never know.

We fought. His blade barely missed me. I wasn't able to burn him. He was too fast. He knew how to read my body language. He seemed to know my moves before they even crossed my mind.

He smiled widely at me. He stepped away from me and lowered his sword slightly.

"Let's just end this quickly." he lunged for me. I took the opportunity and let my hand graze his arm.

I tried to find the familiar sensation of a gift. His gift would be easy to find but I needed more than a few seconds contact. I knew it well enough by now.

I had to throw myself aside as he tried to strike me with his sword. He lunged at me angrily. He was getting frustrated at me.

He lunged and I avoided him.

"Come on Iris" Charles swung his sword around. Behind me there were yells coming from Byron and Henri. They were still busy fighting.

"Charles" I made the mistake of turning to Dr. Nan and Dr. Langston who were sprinting towards us. "Not on my grounds" Dr. Nan had two blades in his hands.