Chapter Forty-Five

In the morning, I was up early. I hurried to Byron's office who surprisingly wasn't there. It was another half an hour or so before he appeared.

"What are you doing up so early?" he looked so confused because he looked around.

"We need to talk" I answered in a low voice so he could only hear. He nodded once. We stepped into his office. Once he gave me a nod to talk I told him what Henri had told me. There weren't certain details that were left out.

"Can we trust him?" Byron asked, concerned. His eyebrows were furrowed downward.

"I don't know what to think" I admitted to him. The feel of Henri's lips were still in my head. "Why would he warn me though? It doesn't make sense"

"Nothing makes sense" he lifted Henri's report up. "He said you don't need to be trained anymore, you just have to practice for your Rank. He will be around if we need him"

"Of course he will." I sighed pacing around Byron's office. His eyes were following me around.

"Maybe he knows things can't outright say. Well we should follow his advice and make sure Ezra and Thomas stay safe. Did he mention anything about you?" Byron got to his feet. He slowly walked around his desk buttoning his jacket.

"Nope, probably because I'm not a concern. I'm a girl" I snapped. I was annoyed that I didn't know what was going on. I was turning into Ezra.

"Hard to forget" Byron replied. He took my hand to make me stop pacing. "Calm down, everything will be okay"

"That's easy for you to say- my mind just keeps working all the time" I sighed heavily. "Especially if the Guard students are now being watched" he tried to make me take a seat but I settled on leaning against his desk.

"We just have to keep our eyes peeled, I will have a word with Ezra and Thomas to keep their eyes open especially in the male dormitories. It is weird enough that we had that fight between Guard students and now Henri tells you that. Something is going on." He patted my shoulder.

"Yeah but what" My eyes snapped up at his green ones. I had forgotten what it was like to be close to him. His favorite cologne filled my nostrils. It was the only men's cologne I had ever favored. "You smell good" I replied hazily. My brain was clouding up.

It was annoying to have him so close to me because my brain stopped functioning normally.

"Thanks" he adjusted his jacket with a grin. "I have a date later tonight. I wasn't going to have time to get ready throughout the day."

I couldn't help scowling at him.

"Who is it?" I tried to keep myself from sounding too interested.

"Samantha Young" he replied. He hadn't removed his hand from my arm or stepped back away from me.

"Figures you would date her. She has the highest GPA besides yours in your year" I grumbled adverting my eyes.

"Jealous?" he laughed with an eyeroll.

"Never" I rolled my eyes back at him.

"You know it really surprised me that you and Henri broke up. I always thought you would be the one that would end up cheating" he took a step forward.

"Maybe I am over you" I shrugged.

Move legs, I told myself. Stop letting him get close to you.

"Really?" Byron smiled. "You are turning green with jealousy. The mention of me going on a date turned your eyes into slits." He was enjoying himself right now.