Chapter Forty-Nine

Henri and Byron looked at each other. It was rather surprising to see them working together.

"Fine" Henri put his hands up. Byron turned to him with a glare. "What do you suggest we do, Guardian"

I snapped my teeth in his direction. He knew I had no plan.

"Right now the grounds are being searched thoroughly" Byron replied.

"What about the tunnels?" I remembered Ronald telling Ezra and Thomas about them. "All of the Guardians would have known about them"

"What tunnels?" Byron and Henri asked at the same time. Instead of going to the boys dormitories, they followed me outside.

"There are tunnels that link the boys and girls dormitories together" I told them as we hurried around the castle. "The party was in the Dragon's tower so it would have to be near the boys dormitories so they would have to come out-" We heard some movement. Byron grabbed my shoulders and pulled me backwards.

"I have notified Dr. Nan" Byron whispered in my ear. He snaked his arm around my waist, we slowly stepped backwards. In his other hand was a blade.

"We need to stop them from leaving the grounds" Henri was behind Byron. I felt something being put in my hand. I met Henri's eyes.

"Merry Christmas" he mouthed to me. I didn't have time to respond because we were suddenly thrown backwards.

I held onto the hilt in my hand. I landed on top of Byron who was quickly on his feet. We turned to the wall that had a gaping hole.

"Should have known" Charles appeared wiping his arms down from the dust. "Of course you would know. Henri a pleasure as always" he nodded at him.

"You should let go of the students" Byron stepped in front of me. Behind him bodies were appearing. There were various masked people holding onto students. There were knives pointed at their necks. The students they were holding had coverings over their heads.

"Lets play a game" Charles answered. "Which two are you looking for?" he grinned at us. "Which two are you going to try to save" he laughed loudly walking towards us. Every time he stepped forward, the masked men moved forward. "Well Iris, take a pick. Its like the lottery" his eyes turned into slits. "Come on let's play a game"

"I'm not playing a single game with you. Release them" I lifted the small knife in my hand. It was Henri's gift. It was a medium-sized knife with crystals on the hilt.

"Too bad" he lifted his hand. One of the student's throat was sliced open. "Was it one of yours?" he slowly walked towards us. We were backing away from them.

"Oh god"

I tried to move towards the student who was on the ground gagging.

"Stay right there" he pointed at me.

They were each holding on to a student. I couldn't make out Ezra and Thomas. Their hands were tied behind them.

"Charles" Ronald lifted his sword. I lifted the knife Henri had given me. It fit perfectly in my hand. "Hand over the students"

"If you come after us, we will leave you a trail of dead students for you to find" Charles laughed at Ronald. They all started to step backwards. They were headed for the No Travel Zone. Somebody had to be waiting for them there.

"Iris, a pleasure" Charles tilted his head at me. "You are a vision in white, are you going to protect your friends"

"I am going to kill you this time, Charles. I swear if you hurt them. I will KILL YOU" I snarled at him. I lifted my knife. He merely rolled his eyes.