Chapter Three

"Welcome to another fulfilling year" Dr. Langston clapped his hands. I noticed there were quite a few black cloaks in our class, there were quite a handful of purple cloaks and the rest were gray cloaks, academics. I could see Byron seated on the other side. I intentionally avoided looking at him.

"Welcome to Ancient History of Magical People, Year 6" he rubbed his hands with enthusiasm. "This is my favorite class to teach among History of Royalty. Let me start off by saying that this class will be different from the ones I teach. I want full cooperation from all of you. Now can someone recall the inscription that is above my door"

I met Ezra's eyes and shrugged. I didn't even know there was something on his door.

"Friendship over Allies" Thomas called out. Ezra rolled his eyes.

"Yes precisely" Dr. Langston clapped his hands merrily. He looked so excited that I let out a laugh. "Before we go on further, let's talk about what each of you bring coming into my class. Raise your hands if you are Immortals?"

A good portion raised their hands including Byron.

"Wizards...Witches?" he asked. All the black cloaks lifted their hands except for one. "Any shape-shifters"

Two hands went up.

"Yess, perfect. I get two every year never more, alas I can't get what I want. Sirens?"

A girl with silvery white hair raised her hand. It was the girl that had spoken to Ezra earlier during lunch.

"Miss Brewester- tell us"

"My father is a wizard and my mother is a siren" she responded. "I think I look more like a Siren"

"Yes" Dr. Langston pointed at his hair. "Any faeries" one girl raised her hand. "Nymphs?" there weren't any. "Goblins" two boys raised their hands. "Any warlocks" four students lifted their hands.

"Mixed blood?"

I raised my hand and so did many of the students who had called themselves Immortals or Witches and Wizards. Dr. Langston kept his hand raised.

"My father was an Immortal and my mother was a Witch" Dr. Langston chuckled. "Why did you get to sent to this school?"

"Headmistress Allison is a witch and the Deputy Headmistress is an Immortal" a wizard called out. "And it is the best school"

"Yes, okay but what else."

"My parents liked that there were various fields taught by different instructors"

"We didn't have a choice" Ezra mumbled under his breath. Dr. Langston looked over at us. I nudged Ezra to keep quiet.

"The diversity" a bored tone answered. I looked at the gray cloaks. "This school is the most diverse in the world from the student body to the professors" Byron replied.

"Precisely, but let me tell you that many magical students weren't invited to attend until the middle 1900s, why?"

"World War II"

"Yes, we started to invite all magical folks into our school as a safe-haven but we are still known as a school for only Immortals unfortunately" Dr. Langston waved his hand. "So this class is called History of Magical People, Year 6 because I'm going to expose you to other magical folks around the world. I'm going to diversify your young minds. Many of you are going to go to work for your Ministry" he held out his hand to the witches and wizards. "Become professors or teach elsewhere in the world or some of you are going to join the Immortals Guard but you are still magical -it doesn't matter what kind of blood you have, what kind of magic you possess. I want you to go out in the mortal world and build friendships- not allies. Make life-long friends" he put his hands together "so we can end this nonsense of who is better than the mortals. Of who is stronger than the Immortals- who is craftier than the Goblin. Remember even the Immortals King and Queen works closely with the Minister of Wizardry- they work in unison with various magical folks such as the Minister of Goblin Trade and the Diplomats of the Seas" he pointed to the Goblins and Siren. "So be cognizant of the language you use- do not say other magical beings- creatures. We are all people remember that- we just have different qualities and magic. Say magical folks- magical people- I want you to go into the world when you leave my classroom and show the attitude and the respect you have for all magical folks and the non-magical. Enough of my rant- for your assignment this week. I want you to make a new friend- someone who isn't from your cohort" he chuckled at our confused faces. "Interview them- ask them about their life. Their qualities-ask away" we stayed in our seats. "Don't make me partner you up" he shook his head. All the boys jumped from their seat and pushed each other out of the way as they tried to get to the Siren. I laughed in response. I looked around. I had mixed blood but I had been raised as an Immortal. Thomas was making his way to the faerie girl. I could see Ezra chatting up the Siren. Byron was talking to a pretty witch. I tried to keep the dislike out of my face. i glanced around trying to find someone who wasn't paired up.