Chapter Ten

Byron was not friendly the next day. He was in an intolerable mood. He gave us one of the hardest work outs we had ever had.

I was breathing heavily, my head was pounding and I had a stitch on my side. I clutched my side.

"Faster Burke" Byron yelled behind me. I gritted my teeth and kept going. There was no way I was going show that he had gotten to me. Once the workout was done we fell to the ground gasping for breath.
"I suggest the three of you walk it off, go for a jog around the building" Byron replied. He was standing over us. My legs were wobbly as I got to my feet. I refused to look at him, but I did as I was told.

"Holy shit" Ezra complained under his breath. "He is pissed that you went out with Henri."

"No he isn't" I retorted. I knew I was lying, he was angry at me for having gone out with him. We ended up walking the rest of the way.

I placed my hands on top of my head, trying to cool down. I just hoped that later today for knives practice, Henri was nicer.

Byron had the hardest look on his face as he looked at me. His expression said everything. His eyes were hard and his lips were pursued together. His jaw was set firmly. Every once and awhile there was a twitch. If looks could kill he would have killed me as soon as practice started.

"Burke a word" Byron replied curtly as we gathered our things. Ezra and Thomas glanced at each other. They took off rather quickly but they would be outside the door listening to what was going on.

"Yes" I tried to be as calm as possible. I was angry at him for being a jerk towards us. "What do you want?" My tone was hard as it could be. "Are you going to make me run another mile because practice is over" I pointed at the giant clock on the wall.

"Are you dating Henri?" his eyes flashed dangerously.

"Why does it matter to you?" I snapped angrily. I was fed up with his attitude. He was sweet one day and the next day he was breathing fire.

"Don't you think I have every right to know"

I scoffed at him.

"No, you don't" I took turned to go but he grabbed my arm. "You have no right."

"Iris I asked you out and instead you went out with Henri" he shook his head with disbelieve.

"No, you asked me out because Henri asked you permission to date me" I gave him the ugliest look I could make. "Why did you tell him yes" I raised my voice. "If you wanted to try again..." I took a deep shaky breath. "You know perfectly well that you could have came up with any excuse for him to not date me....you could have said that I shouldn't date right now....anything but instead you let him." my voice was shaking. My heart was thundering in my chest. "Is this some kind of competition between the both of you because that's what it looks like to me, Byron. I am not some kind of prize that you get because you get to beat Henri"

"Iris that wasn't my intention."

"Was it a test then? to see if I liked you more" I was yelling at him. My voice was echoing in the gym.

"I can't show my feelings for you- he was suspicious"

"So what!" I threw up my hands in frustration. "Who cares what anybody thinks, Byron. We could have been friends- and waited to see when you would stop being my instructor. I am sick of this game we have, Byron. You and I are friendly one day. We flirt with each other and the next day we ignore each other. I like you, you know that. You freaking know that" I stepped forward to him. "You have been great to me but I can't do this- and I know you can't either."

"So you are going to date Henri" he crossed his arms. His lips were thinning at the idea.

"I don't know, honestly." I shrugged. "and if I do so what! It is none of your damn business Byron. You are my instructor- let us draw that line now. You are my instructor and I am your student. My personal life-or business should not be any of your damn concern anymore and yours won't be mine either." I grasped my bag tightly. "See you during practice, sir."