Chapter Twenty-Nine

"What are you doing?" I followed Byron to the locker room furiously. I was going to wait outside but I followed him inside anyway. "Why did you just challenge the Duke to a swords match."

"Because he's an asshole" Byron shrugged. It looked like that was the only reason he needed. "And I plan to teach him a lesson"

"Oh is this a professor moment" I exclaimed. "A teaching moment, great Byron. You are going up against a Guard member, an old Guard member who is now the Duke. He is the brother of the Queen."

"So" Byron shrugged. He took off his shirt. Usually I would have gazed over his chest but instead my eyes were fixated on his face. I was mad at him. "Look, I suggested a friendly match."

"He knows I was with you that night" I blurted to him. Byron merely shrugged. "Are you joking? You don't care."

"Iris" Byron shrugged again. He looked like he was getting frustrated with me.

"He is going to see it as a challenge because I'm sure he knows that you know everything" I threw my hands up. "Back out of it"

"Heck no" Byron laughed. There was no use arguing with him. "I don't back out of challenges, Burke. Now get out so I can get dressed" he put his hands on the edges of his pants. "Or you are going to see me nude" his eyes twinkled with amusement. He liked me to make uncomfortable so he would drop his pants.

I huffed loudly and turned on my heel.

"By the way, you are my second so go get ready" he called to me.

"What?" I yelped turning to him. He was standing in his boxers. I covered my eyes in response. "Byron" I shouted in the locker room.

"I'm naked, Iris so get out" he told me. I turned and hurried out. Ezra and Thomas were seated. The gym was starting to fill up. Dr. Langston and Dr. Nan were talking amongst themselves.

The gym was being prepared for the match. So it was actually going to happen. I couldn't talk to Ezra or Thomas. Henri wasn't here to talk Byron out of it or to comfort me.

So I went to Dr. Langston and Dr. Nan.

"Byron is making me his second" I blurted to them.

"Well why aren't you getting ready?" Dr. Nan chuckled. Dr. Langston was giving me a look like I should be getting ready instead of talking to them.

"So you are letting Byron go through with the match."

"Yeah, it is just a simple match" Dr. Nan's mouth hardened. He didn't even believe what he was saying.

"But" I protested.

"Go get ready" Dr. Nan put his hands on my shoulders and turned me around. "Beat them, Iris" he whispered in my ear. He gently pushed me forward. Vino and Drake were making their way out of the locker room.

"Did you talk him out of it?" I hurried to them.

"No" Vino snorted. "The match is going to be legendary."

"Heck yeah" Drake rubbed his hands together. I stared at them. I couldn't believe they were letting Byron go through with the match. It was absurd.

"Why aren't you ready?" Byron came into the locker room. He was dressed in black with a dark silver chest plate. I was seated in front of my locker.

"I can't be your second, make Ezra or Thomas do it" I shook my head. "I can't beat him."

The Second usually fought either the opponent or whomever he chose in case there was a tie.

"There won't be a tie" Byron replied, he was so sure of himself. "I know that much so get ready"

"But what if you get hurt" I squeaked. "The Duke is much older and"