Chapter Thirty- Four

Ezra, Thomas and I were in Byron's office going over some statistics for the next Rank. We were discussing the Counsel's latest meeting.

"Well, it makes sense that they want to make a play at the throne" Thomas shrugged, he handed me the latest statistics on the girls in my class. I could be going up against any of the girls listed. "Nobody has claimed that there is an Heir."

"Nobody will" Ezra sighed. He put his feet up on Byron's desk. Byron slapped his legs knocking them off.

"What I don't like is the RFG" Thomas shook his head. He was shuffling papers in his hands. "That feels like it will be a hostile take over. They are trying to win people over."

"Well yeah, they need a Guard to protect them. What about King Phillip?" The three of us turned to Byron.

"The latest news is that he is considering war but he is willing to negotiate if the three Immortals that were caught are released."

"Three Immortals?" We asked at the same time.

"Three male Immortals" Byron replied meaningfully. Ezra put his feet back up. Byron got to his feet and smacked them. "Get your feet off my desk or you'll get repetitions"

"Shits getting real now" Ezra rolled his eyes at Byron. "So they are still capturing people for information. I thought having Rima in the Counsel would have cooled things down"

"No, there are Officers watching her. From the reports there have been Guards from Charles post watching her. Our assumption is that it is only a matter of time before they try to get information out of her."

"Damn" Thomas leaned back into his chair.

"It won't be a problem, even if she doesn't remember who you are- you will be safe" Byron took a seat but kept an eye on Ezra. "The most powerful memory charms were placed on her"

"Can they be broken?"

"Nope- only by the person that created them and they are in this school so we are safe." Byron leaned on his hand. He put his feet up on his desk. Ezra let out a scoff.

"So are we supposed to wait around for the next year and a half until we are officially Guardians" Ezra asked. I made a face. He was right, we couldn't just wait around and do nothing.

"Unfortunately yes, you have sit around and let Ronald and the Counsel handle it."

"What about the Heir?" Thomas pressed. Ezra and I met eyes. He was going to be insistent and nobody was going to take his mind off of it.

"Nobody has told me anything about an Heir." Byron shrugged. "Like Rima has said, you are my only concern now. I won't worry about an Heir not until they tell us who he is"

"Well they can't possibly think that keeping him a secret for another year is going to help any of us. If they discover us then the Heir is exposed. What if King Phillip decides to declare war? It would tip over in favor and we would be at war without a full-sized Guard and only one Guardian."

"I know that it is a difficult situation to not worry about. But you have to trust that they are doing everything they can to protect you for at least a year and a half. We have powerful Wizards and Witches that know that you three are important to us and to our safety so just wait, for a year and a half."

"Right you can say that" Ezra snorted. He threw his hands up stretching his back. "But I feel like I should start sleeping with an eye open now that Charles is allowed to come to campus."

"Worry about your next Rank and let me take care of Charles. He has requested visiting but it has been pushed until December for our Winter Festival. Just hang tight"