Chapter Twenty-Three

My eyes flickered over to Henri. He was still fast asleep. Byron looked over his shoulder at Henri.

"How much do you like him?" Byron's voice was tight and irritated. He met my eyes and he arched an eyebrow.

"Not as much as you" I admitted to him with a smile. Byron slowly started to smile. My stomach started doing backflips. "I like you a lot" I started to move closer to him. "Byron" My fingers were touching his lips lightly. He was staring into my eyes. "and I don't want to lose you."

"You won't" Byron took my fingers from his lips. "I'm always going to be around- around for you" his eyes searched mine. "Watching over you and protecting you no matter what."

I flexed the hand he was holding. I was going to try to not be difficult. We were having a good moment and I didn't want to ruin it by saying he was my instructor and I, a Guardian.

Instead, I pressed my lips against his one more time. His hand slid up my arm and he buried his hand into my hair. In return, my arm was around his neck so he was crushed against me.

There were footsteps and we pulled apart. My face started to burn as I busied myself with trying to slip into the bed.

"I thought you would be sleeping" Ezra asked behind me. Byron was climbing into his own bed which was beside mine.

"Can't sleep" I mumbled. I cleared my face and turned to the boys.

"Dr. Nan and Dr. Langston just briefed us" Thomas took a seat at the foot of the bed. Thomas searched my eyes and he turned to Henri.

"The both of you are in trouble"

Ezra shot Henri a nasty look.

"Wait until he wakes up" Ezra lifted his upper lip in dislike. "I can't believe he tricked us into letting you go off campus. He tricked me" Ezra sounded outraged. "I actually liked him for you" I heard Byron make an irritate sound but I didn't glance at him.

"Yeah" Thomas replied in a small voice. "I can't believe it either. Dr. Nan told us what you did to Charles"

"Yeah" Ezra threw his hands up in irritation. "You had the chance to kill his ass and you didn't" his eyes nearly popped out of his head.

My body sank into the bed. The pillows were soft and warm. I was tired and I could merely stare up at them.

"You only disarmed him" Ezra let out a harsh breath of air. "And you, where the hell were you?" Ezra turned on Byron. "Aren't you supposed to be watching over her? Why didn't you drag her back to school? Or at least kill Charles"

My eyes wandered to Byron who was laying on his side, facing us.

"She couldn't have killed him" Thomas replied gently. Thomas was sitting calmly while we watched Ezra pace from bed to bed. "She made a good choice"

"And this asshole" Ezra kicked Henri's bed. "It seems that all the guys that like you are trying to get you killed intentionally or unintentionally" Ezra sank next to me. Ezra seemed more irked that Henri managed to lie to him than anything else. I reached over and put my arm around him.

"Except for this one" Ezra tilted his head at Byron. " He might be the only good choice for you"

Byron shot Ezra a dirty look.

"I'm her instructor" he snapped lifting his head slightly.

"Yeah whatever" Thomas rolled his eyes. "What a working relationship"

Ezra started to laugh loudly.

"Yeah I can imagine your face when you saw Henri and Iris together. That would have been priceless- what went through your head, Byron?"