Chapter Twenty-Seven

"What happened?" I ran after Byron. Henri had taken off towards the mail room to send a note home. "Is Henri's father, okay?" He was walking fast towards his office.

"His father is fine" Byron replied with a sigh. "We just got notice that the Duke has gotten permission to visit the school"

"Permission from who?" I turned back to Ezra and Thomas. They only shrugged at me.

"The Counsel" Byron replied. His office was a mess. He had papers and open books everywhere. "and one of the counsel members is stepping down. We are trying to find her replacement as quickly as possible"

"Who is stepping down?" Thomas asked. Byron closed his door. He pressed his hand momentarily on the door.

"Luciana Rogers, her cycle is ending in December." Byron took a deep breath. She was the women that had argued with my grandmother at my disciplinary hearing last year. "They are trying to find her replacement, if we get someone in- we would be tied. The Counsel would be-"

"Stalled" Thomas nodded. "In case King Phillip decided to go to war"

"Exactly" Byron rubbed his head.

"Are you in it?" I asked him.

"I'm too young" Byron replied, shaking his head. "I merely attend some of the meetings with the advisors."

"What about Professor Curt?" I suggested. He was my favorite person. I was supposed to start training with him on Monday evening.

"He or she has to be an Immortal" Byron answered. "We need approval from all members to put someone in including the King and Queen and the Guardians, Ronald is on our side and Charles is in prison so his input will not count."

"So what do you need from us?" Ezra shook his head.

"Rima is going to be leaving us" Byron sat down. "She is the only trustworthy person we know that can occupy that position."

"But if she leaves us, people are going to know that we exist. They are going to go after her"

"Rima has been taking care of herself for over 300 years. She will step down from her position of being the Counsel Keeper, and she will have no memory of who you are. She plans to be reinstated after the next cycle of Guardians comes in as a preventive measure."

"Who is going to take her position?"

My heart stopped beating. I know that answer.

"Me" Byron chuckled, he met my eyes briefly. "They are hoping that because I'm too young and lack experience, I won't be targeted as the Counsel's Keeper" he cleared his throat. "Dr. Nan will be taking over as Deputy Headmaster"

"Oh shit" Thomas muttered under his breath.

"Yeah" Byron laughed. "He isn't an easy man to deal with but regardless he is one of the best swordsmen and has seen two previous Guardian trainings so he will be supervising me. He just can't become the Counsel's Keeper, it is too risky being in the Counsel and being the one person that can release information about the Guardians which is why Dr. Nan, and Dr. Langston didn't want it."

"That means you lack one other person, you have to recruit someone else" I muttered. I searched his eyes. "Henri?"

"It can't be Henri. If he joins, he can't get involved with you not until after you have been presented to the Immortals"

"But he knows who we are" I told Byron. "Someone could figure out that we are the Guardians"

"As long as he doesn't admit he knows who you are. We are perfectly fine and as much as I hate Henri, he is trustworthy and I'm sure he would never expose you. He really cares about you" Byron nodded with an irked expression. "We were thinking of adding a warlock"