Chapter 11

"MJ your phone is ringing," a voice called out.

"who is calling?" Mew asked feeling lazy to get up from where he was lying on the couch watching TV.

"Ifontkno," this time the voice was muffled.

"can you please come with it here?" Mew asked.

There was silence and what could be heard was vibration of a phone. "but I'm still eating," the voice finally replied complaining.

"I made you that food," Mew reminded,

"so what?"

"Mild," Mew warned,

"the food is too good," Mild said with a playful tone.

Mew rolled his eyes and shook his head "who is calling?"

"international number," Mild responded.

"I will call them before going to bed."

He was tired. He had a lot of work. You couldn't blame him. He was now the Director at a huge Engineering corporation in San Francisco, California. It was a Tuesday evening and he had gotten back from work with his friend, Mild, who always came to eat at his house before going to his own. They had met in the first year he came to the US and had been inseparable friends since then. It had been easy to become close because they spoke the same language.

Mew was not fond of receiving calls from home. It had been fourteen years since he was abandoned by his family.

Fourteen years of transformation.

Fourteen years of thriving.

Fourteen years of friendship with Mild. He had achieved so much despite the pain and the betrayal he felt.

He had worked so hard all these years. He was certain that he was fit mentally, physically, financially, emotionally and even spiritually. He had gone through a lot to be where he was. He didn't want to think about it anymore.

Mild left after cleaning up the kitchen. Mew continued to work in his home office and had a shower after that. He called back the number and he heard the news of his father's health deteriorating. He was asked to return. He had to go home. It was the time he had been dreading all these years. After pondering for quite some time he called Mild,

"Mew Jong whatsup?"

Mild was met with silence and he knew what he had done wrong.

"MJ whatsup?" He knew how much Mew disliked his last name.

"now you sound like an American even through the phone," Mew chided.

"am I not?" Mild asked wondering.

"man, I think I have to go home,"

"nooooooo," Mild whined.

"we knew this day would come, didn't we?" Mew said softly,

"why does it have to be now, I'm still not prepared to let you go,"

Mew could see Mild pouting in his head.

"then come with me," He said in a low nervous voice.

"MJ" Mild took a deep breath, "you know I can't just up and leave, it's been way too long since I have been there, I don't have anyone there" he said sadly,

"take it as your chance to look for your family too. Besides, you'll be with me, come on man you know I need all the support I can get. You're the only one I can trust. The only one I've got," Mew finished with a sad laugh.