Chapter 2

In the year 2000, in the rich suburbs of the city, rumors travelled throughout the community the moment it happened. J-Limited Co had been under tax investigation the previous year. Throughout the decade, it had ventured in other industries and it became an enormous company. Early 2000 the company was found guilty of tax evasion and the profits of the company plummeted.

Mr Jong sat inside his office at home with his advisors. They had to do whatever they could in order to calm down the rumors and rectify the situation. In addition to paying a fine and other corrupt things companies do in order to get away from the law, they also had to do damage control because the image of the company suffered severely.

"I would advise making donations especially at main government institutions. Government hospitals need medical supplies and government schools need computer rooms and libraries built or extended. I am sure we can choose from these options as a first step." A thick man said as he struggled to make himself comfortable on the chair in the office.

"that's a good initiative Mr Lee" complimented Mr Jong. He looked to his left were the Vice President was sitting, "Your views Mr Smith?"

"Mhmm," the man cleared his throat indicating he was unsure of what he was about to say.

"I was thinking that in addition to that you could sacrifice one or both children so they attend a government school, that way when you start donating you'll have a valid reason for doing so," he finished.

Mr Jong went quiet for a moment. What the man said was making sense but using his children as way of cleaning up his mess would not sit well with his wife. Hell, he was having a difficult time accepting it.

"I'll think about it." They all went quiet, so he continued "well gentlemen thank you for coming. I'll be sending you an email soon look forward to it.

Later than night as he was having dinner with his wife, and Mandy, his daughter who was 3 years older than Mew, and Mew who was now ten years old, he brought up the issue.

"one of you has to start attending a government school," He started.

"honey," the wife was surprised, "you didn't tell me this why?"

"it's an inevitable step we have to take in order to improve the image of the company."

"it can't be Mandy," the mother stated.

"why not? She is the eldest is she not?" the father asked curious.

"I just paid her piano lessons and I finally helped her get comfortable with her new schedule." Mrs Jong explained.

"it hasn't been long since Mew started attending school," the father argued.

"the more reason he should move. He is still new at this, so it won't be a problem," the mother reasoned.

It was making sense. However, he was worried. Mew was unlike her sister or other kids his age. He was never an easy-going kid although he was quite simple. Unlike other kids who liked playing with a variety of toys, Mew placed so much focus on one toy that attracts his eyes and it took forever for him to outgrow the toy.

His nanny had to hide his toys for him to get a new one but she never really got away with it because he made tantrums until they gave his toy back.

It was something that Mr Jong had been told and also noticed when Mew was growing up. His nanny, one of the ladies they hired when he was born, took a good care of him so Mr Jong was somewhat relieved and didn't think about it much. His wife was more focused on Mandy because she wanted her daughter to grow up to be an independent lady in the male chauvinistic society.

By the end of dinner, they had reached a consensus. Mew was going to transfer to a new a school. They notified the nanny of the new changes that were going to take place and she did not seem pleased with this decision. She knew that Mew was going to have a hard time adjusting to his new school.

That evening, Mr Jong sent an email confirming that he would send his son to Rockridge. A popular government institution that had kindergarten, elementary, secondary school and college. He also instructed the vice president to start preparing for the initial donation to Hope Foundation Hospital and sponsorship for the extension of maternity ward.

Two days later, at Rockridge Elementary, the administration received astonishing news that the son of CEO of J-Limited Co was going to be attending school at their institution. Kids were confused with the commotion going on. It was a big deal, but they wouldn't understand. Even the administration was failing to understand. They had to admit that it was one of the most shocking things that ever happened in their school.

The principal was pleased to say the least. He had heard and read what happened with J-Limited Co. and he knew what was happening. He ordered teachers to make their pupils behave when the elite arrive at the school. He made a phone call to his friend who was the Director at the national broadcasting company so they would broadcast and take pictures. The school was going to be making headlines and he was over the moon.

He made necessary preparations for the day. He also held a brief meeting with some teachers to decide which class would the boy go in. They had to choose a classroom that was better looking and had to remove some of the kids in that class so that it was not too crowded.

Mr Jong arrived at the school with his wife and son a few minutes before 10, earlier than they were scheduled to arrive. The principal was impressed.

After meeting them in the parking lot and getting some pictures taken, the principal personally escorted the family to his office.

All papers were signed, and Mew was taken by his teacher to his class. The three adults discussed some more the structure of the school, after the CEO's wife expressed her displeasure of the building. They smoothly brought up the issue of donation and the Principal smirked knowingly.

Mew entered the class and stood in front of the class with the teacher, Miss Prew.

"okay kids listen up, this is Mew Jong and he transferred here today. He will be in this class please take care of him na?"

"yes ma'am" the kids screamed.

"Take a seat on that empty desk" the teacher instructed.

He stared at the empty desk in front of the middle row and he shook his head. He pointed at the back instead where there was one desk at the back and on it was girl named Puifai.

"oh, young lady would you mind switching your spot with this young man right here?"

The girl stared intensely at the these two not hiding her displeasure. She looked away and the teacher did not fail to catch her attitude. Miss Prew always had a problem with Puifai. She was unusual and very distant. But the teacher knew not granting this boy his desires would make her unemployed and she was not having that.

"right now young lady! Come with your desk and chair upfront and from today onwards that spot is going to be used by Mew right here. You were never supposed to sit down alone to begin with." She finished. Mew's desk was new that's why Puifai was directed to carry her own desk.

That made the girl more annoyed than before, but she stood up anyway. She was sassy and outward just rude. She did not care a bit about other people's opinion and this was not a common attitude for people her age. It was a class full of 10 year olds but she acted like she had a rebelling teenager in her body and this did not sit well with Miss Prew. She got up and started dragging her furniture to where the teacher had instructed, making a squeaking sound hurtful to the ear. Many kids covered their ears for protection, but Mew just stared at her unbothered.

What ticked Mew was how Puifai roughly nudged his shoulder when she was passing him. Mew stopped with a straight face and looked back at her. What she didn't realize then was how she just declared a war. She went on to sit right next to a boy who had baby face and looked so adorable when he smiled. He was so innocent, so soft-spoken and easily made friends. He sent a smile to Puifai who just ignored him and looked away. This encounter was witnessed by Mew who just smirked and looked away.