Chapter 30

© Copyright material

CHAPTER 30

Dina's POV

            When I got out of James's building, I took a deep breath. The truth is, I could use some company on this trip to Philadelphia, but I didn't want anyone to know the real reason for this trip. I had an appointment at the doctor's office, but I didn't want anyone to know about it. I've been really weak, sleepy, pale and I had headaches lately. And I didn't eat much. But I really did have to do some work for Melanie there too, so I wasn't really lying, I just didn't say the whole truth. There was no way James would let me go alone if he knew that I'm not feeling well.

            Two days ago I reserved the ticket for my train. I'm traveling with Amtrak and it requires reservation. The trip will last for 75-90 minutes. I'll be leaving from New York Penn Station, and arriving at 30th Street Station in Philadelphia. I came home and packed my bag. I'll stay in Philadelphia for a few days. Zoya came home soon. As she opened the door, she saw my bag on the floor.

            "Going somewhere?", she asked worriedly, cocking her head to the side and raising her eyebrow, glancing between me and my bag.

            "Just for a few days. I'll be back soon, don't worry. I'll be here for your birthday. I didn't forget.", I said smiling. Her birthday is in three days.

            "Oh, ok. Does James knows you're leaving?", she asked.

            "You mean, Daniel?", I replied, raising my eyebrow.

            "No. I meant James. Does he know? And while you're at it, does Daniel knows?", she asked again.

            "Yes. James knows. I told him. And Daniel knows too. I told him this morning. I'm going tonight.", I said.

            And then I went to call Alexandra. It was almost 5 pm here, which means it was 11 pm in Europe.

            She answered: "Hey, sis! I already thought you've forgotten all about me!".

            "I'll never forget about you.", I said smiling.

            A second later I continued: "I have good news.".

            I could hear she held her breath, trying to hide how happy she is. She knew what I'll tell her.

            "James will be your contact too. I'll send all the info you'll need over an e-mail.", I said happily.

            "Yes!! Thank you!!", she screamed happily into the phone.

            "You're welcome, Alex. I can't wait to see you. Zoya is so happy you'll come. I have to go now. We'll talk soon. Sleep well, kiddo.", I said smiling again. We said our goodbyes and I hung up. I have to leave in a few minutes.

In the meantime...

James's POV

            I've been a little worried about Dina and her trip. It seemed weird that Zoya won't go with her. I mean, they are best friends and they both work for Melanie. Dina didn't want me to go with her, either. But I have to respect that. But still, it was weird Zoya isn't going with her. I wondered if Zoya even knew that Dina is leaving. I had to visit Jenny now, I called her and said I'll visit her.

            I bought a box of chocolates and went over to her place. She opened the door. Her tummy was pretty big. I smiled to her and went inside. We talked for some time. I didn't know how to ask her if the baby is really mine. She wasn't looking good, and I didn't want to make her feel even worse. I decided I'll leave that conversation for some other time. I made her a cup of tea and prepared something to eat. Then I asked her if she needs something from the shop. She said that she doesn't need anything, that Mark got everything she needed. She ate the chocolates. She seemed like she really enjoyed them. We watched TV for a while.

            At 6 pm I went home. I was still worried about Dina and her sudden trip. I cleaned my place a little, and Jake came to visit me. I couldn't help but ask him to tell me more about Dina and Daniel. He told me they were hanging around together a lot. And then he took a deep breath, trying to decide if he should tell me something. Finally he said that Dina used to spend the night at Daniel's place sometimes. Ok, not really what I wanted to hear!

            "Shit!", I screamed, getting up from my couch, gripping my hair with my hands.

            I knew my brother, he had a lot of girls, mostly just for sex. He wasn't a bad guy, but he didn't want to commit to any of them, at least, not yet.

            "I'm sorry, James. We didn't know he's your brother. You know I never met him.", Jake said, apologizing.

            "I know. Don't worry. Dina wants us to be friends anyway.", I replied sadly.

            He said worriedly: "James, I know you. You won't be able to be just friends with her. I know how much you love her. Does Daniel knows about you and Dina now?".

            "No!", I said a bit loudly, looking straight at Jake's eyes.

            Then I continued normally: "No, he doesn't know. Dina asked me not to tell him. She said she'll talk to him.". I sat back down on my couch.

            "What will I do, Jake?", I asked holding my head in my hands, looking at the floor.

            "I don't know, James. I really don't know. Maybe you could ask your captain to send you on another undercover assignment?.", he said hopefully.

            "I don't want to go. I don't want to be away from her, Jake. I'll have to think of something else.", I said sadly.

            I tried to change the subject asking about him and Zoya. The smile appeared on his face at the same second. I saw he really loved Zoya, and that he meant serious with her. I smiled at him and how happy he was. After a while he went home. I took a shower and went to my bed, thinking about Dina. She haven't sent me an SMS yet. I took my phone wanting to call her, when SMS came.

            "Hey, James. I just wanted to let you know that I'm fine and that I'm in the hotel. Good night.", she wrote.