Chapter 37 - Pic of Daniel's Honda City

© Copyright material

CHAPTER 37

Daniel's POV

            We were celebrating Zoya's birthday until 2 am, and then we decided to go home, because Jake had to work in the morning. When we left the girls at their place, Jake and I went home too. I went to bed, but I couldn't sleep. I was thinking about the conversation I'll have with Dina tomorrow. We needed to talk.

            I couldn't continue being with her, not now when I knew she is my brother's ex-girlfriend and that he still loves her. I knew she loves her ex too, and that she was with me only to forget him, but I hoped she'd fall in love with me eventually. And now when I knew her ex is my brother, I didn't want to continue with this. I liked her a lot, but since I found out the truth, I love her only in brother-sister way, or possible sister-in-law way. I smiled at that thought. I adore my brother, and I could never do anything to hurt him. I fell asleep soon.

            I woke up at 9 am. I got out from my bed and took a shower. I called Dina and said I'll come over and we'll go out. She was ready when I came and we were on our way. It was 10:45 am. We were going to the WTC Site, the place where World Trade Center used to be, because Dina wanted to see it. We didn't talk much in the car. I didn't want to have that conversation while I was driving. We listened to the music that was playing quietly in the background.

            Dina was looking out through her window and smiling. She was in her own thoughts and I didn't know what she was smiling about. We crossed the Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge and turned left, going on the 2nd Avenue. When we were in the middle of the intersection, a car came from E 57th Street, passing right through his red light.

            Dina screamed: "Daniel! Watch out!".

            There was no time for me to react, and before I knew it, he slammed into us, on Dina's side of the car, just slightly behind her. Pushing us in the air at the impact, down the E 57th Street. Crashing us into other cars.

Jake's POV

            I've been called for an intervention. There was a car accident on the intersection between the 2nd Avenue and the E 57th Street. I heard it's pretty bad accident. A lot of people got injured. My team and I hurried to the site, turning our sirens on. The metallic blue/purple Honda City was totaled, among other cars. But Honda was the one that was damaged the most. The worst damage was on the right side. When I came closer, I recognized the car registration.

            "Oh, God! It's Daniel!", I screamed.

            I rushed to the driver's side, when I saw someone else is inside with him. I froze when I saw Dina. She wasn't moving and she was all covered in blood. Daniel was also bloody but he was awake.

            He looked at me slowly and spoke with his weak voice: "Jake... Help her, please!". And then he passed out.

            Dina's phone was constantly ringing, but I didn't have the time to see who's calling and answer. I had to help her. After the fireman's cut the car to get them out, we placed both, Daniel and Dina on the ambulance beds. Daniel woke up again, telling me to go with Dina and make sure she's ok. Another ambulance took Daniel, and one took the driver that hit them.

            A few other ambulances took other injured people to the hospital too. One of my team members drove now, while I was behind in the ambulance with Dina. I was holding the oxygen mask on her nose and talking to her, but she was unconscious. Her phone just didn't stop ringing. I took it in my hand and looked at the bloody screen.

            It was James. 'Oh, God! What will I tell him?! I have to answer! He's probably panicking already! 20 missed calls!', I thought to myself. With a shaky hand, I wiped the phone a little and brought it closer to my face, answering.