Chapter 27

© Copyright material

CHAPTER 27

1 week later...

Danny's POV

            I woke up, hugging Dina. It was 8 am. I have to go to work soon. I'm working from 10 am. I still haven't told her what I do for work, I don't think she'd be interested in the fact that I'm an special agent. I noticed she is sad when she thinks no one is watching her, but in front of others she pretends she's happy, including me. I told her I have to meet my friends because one of them is having a birthday. Which wasn't a lie. One of my teammates really did have birthday today.

            She said: "Ok. I'll go home now anyway.".

            "Ok, I'll call you later.", I replied.

            She agreed and said she'll go away in a few minutes. We said our goodbyes, I kissed her on her cheek and went to the bathroom, taking a quick shower and getting ready for my work. She was already gone when I came back from the bathroom. At work, captain told me my brother will come in a few minutes, in case I'd like to wait for him. My brother! Geez, I haven't seen him in 6 months! Either he was on an assignment, or I was. I waited for him.

            A few minutes later, I saw him. He was coming towards me. I was so happy to finally see him. We hugged. I arranged with him I'll come to visit him tonight. We said our goodbyes and he went inside to give his assignment report. I went over to my captain. After I finished my work, I went home to rest for an hour or two.

            Mark was outside somewhere, like usually. He was my roommate but he was rarely at home. He spent most of his time at car races. He was a race driver, and recently he started to drive cars for some action movies. He's a great driver. And now he was paid to do it.

            At 7 pm I called Dina and told her that she and Zoya should get ready because we're going somewhere. She said that they will be ready in about half an hour. I got ready too and got out of my place to pick them up. They were looking at me suspiciously when they got into my car. I didn't want to tell them where I'm taking them, at least not yet.

Earlier that day...

James's POV

            It's been 2 months since the last time I saw Dina, and there wasn't a day I didn't think of her. I missed her so much and I wanted to see her. I wanted to work out everything with her. And I had to visit Jenny too, and maybe try to find out if the baby is really mine. She was in 7th month of pregnancy now. But I was so tired.

            I called Mark to let him know that I am back. I had to rest for a while first. First familiar person I saw in front of my work building, was my brother. I was so happy to see him, finally. After 6 months! I really missed him. He told me he'll visit me tonight. We hugged and said our goodbyes and he went over to his captain, and I went inside to give my assignment report. I remembered Dina. I couldn't visit her if Daniel is coming to visit me. I'll have to visit her tomorrow. I missed her so much. I tried to call her a few times when I got home, but she didn't answer. Maybe she didn't hear her phone.

            This past 2 months were difficult to bear. I didn't even have her photo, I wasn't allowed to call her, and I was broken. It hurt me to think about living without her. I have to see her, maybe we could work things out now, when everything cooled off a little bit. I have to go home and rest for a while, I was so tired I could barely stand. And later I'll clean my place a bit, my brother will visit me! Knowing him, he'll drag someone with him. I don't want to look like a slob, now don't I?

Dina's POV

            I was staring at my phone. 5 missed calls... James called me. That means he's back! And I didn't answer... Now he'll think I ignored him on purpose... Which I didn't. I was in the bathroom, taking a really long bath. The water got cold while I was in the bathtub. I'll just message him and tell him I was in the bath.

            Danny called me and said that Zoya and I should get ready because he's going to take us somewhere. Jake had to do something so he won't go with us.

            When we were ready and in Danny's car, Zoya asked him happily: "Where are you taking us, Danny?". He replied we're going to meet someone.

            Soon he parked the car and said: "You're going to meet my brother.". He was happy.

            We were in front of the building I already knew. And when we were walking through the hallway I also knew very well, all I could think of was 'Oh God, please don't let James get out now and see me here.'. And then Danny stopped. I smashed into his back on his sudden stop, since I was walking behind him. He was so happy, grinning from ear to ear.

            I looked at the door in front of which we were standing. I turned white. 'Oh God! My ex-boyfriend James, is my present boyfriend's brother?! Kill me now, please!', I thought to myself, taking a deep breath quietly, squeezing my eyes shut.

            "We're here!", Danny said smiling happily.

            I haven't even noticed I started to tremble. Zoya took my hand, understanding what I'm thinking.

            She mouthed to me: "It's ok.".

            I was so shocked, I couldn't believe what's happening. Luckily, Danny didn't notice anything. He was too excited he'll finally see his brother. He lifted his hand up in the air, preparing to knock. Danny knocked and I just wanted to run away and hide in the rabbit's hole. Of all the people in New York, I had to meet James's brother?! James once told me he's brother is Daniel, but how was I supposed to know that his Daniel and this Danny are one and the same person? He said he is Danny Ross... I thought that's his last name! And New York is a big place! Talking about tough luck, huh?? Even Jake didn't knew him! And he's James's best friend.

            I was squeezing Zoya's hand tighter and tighter. Zoya squeezed my hand tightly, giving me the sign to ease up a bit, reassuring me everything will be fine. I was so tense. I'm sure she'd run away with me, if I just start moving! No time for that! The doors opened, and there was James, standing in front of us. 'Oh God, he's gorgeous! Oh, wait, that's not what I should be thinking!', I face palmed myself mentally. 'Oh God, I want to die! Now, please!', I screamed mentally, squeezing my eyes shut again for a second.

            I was trying to hide myself behind Danny. No such luck! Shock came across James's face when he saw me. Danny pulled James into a tight hug.

            "Hey big bro!", Danny said happily.

            "Hey, Daniel.", James replied looking at me over Danny's shoulder while they were hugging. 'Well, I guess I can call him Daniel now too.', I thought sarcastically.

            They moved apart and Daniel introduced us quickly, not noticing James's expression: "Meet my girlfriend Dina and her friend Zoya! Dina, Zoya, this is my brother James!".

            Shocked and painful look spread over James's face when Daniel said that I'm his girlfriend. He seemed so hurt by Daniel's words. My heart crashed in my chest. I didn't want Daniel to know about James and me, so I spread my shaky hand in front of me, towards James.

            He spread his hand too, reaching mine, understanding my intention and we shook our hands, quietly saying "Hi." to each other. I lowered my eyes to the floor as I felt tingles in my body at the touch of his hand.

            Zoya spread her hand too, repeating the same thing. She was also nervous about this situation. James invited us in. We had to act like we don't know each other. I mean, how could I tell Daniel I've been with his brother? And just two months ago, for that matter! 'Oh God! I'm not sure I could pull this off!', I thought to myself.