Chapter 9

© Copyright material

CHAPTER 9

James's POV

            My heart pumped a bit faster, skipping a few beats in the process.

            "Why do you look so shocked? It's not like we didn't exchange our saliva already.", she said looking amused at how shocked I was.

            "Yea... Right... Good point.", I replied with a smile, scratching the back of my head for no particular reason. She took a few sips of her juice, looking at me.

            "Look, I came to talk to you about something. Well, about the show, actually.", she said. I looked at her, waiting for her to continue.

            "Yea?", I asked.

            She said carefully: "Well... Yea... You see... I came here so we could discuss some script changes, just you and I. Since the show was a success, and we're already booked for the next 2 and a half months...".

            "What script changes?", I asked quickly, interrupting her.

            "Well, I was hoping if we could change the kissing part, and do a hug and kiss on the cheek instead.", she asked hopefully.

            I frowned. What should I do? If I accept, I won't kiss her anymore, not even 'just for business' like, but she won't be angry at me. If I refuse, she might get angry and I won't get to kiss her anyway, and she wouldn't probably talk to me anymore.

            I decided quickly: "Ok. If that's what you want...".

            She clapped her hands together, getting up: "Thank you. That would be the best. I want us to be good friends, best friends even. And kissing each other daily would probably ruin that. Especially when...", she stopped for a second, "...Uhm, never mind.", she finished. I raised my eyebrow looking up at her, she smiled shyly.

            Then she asked: "Wanna go hang out with us girls? It's a movie night.", she smiled and continued: "We decided we'll have a movie night every night before the show. Wanna join?".

            I said: "Sure, why not? Just let me get ready.". She took a few more sips of the juice and we were on our way a few minutes later.

Dina's POV

            I almost messed up everything. I almost told him 'Especially when I already like you too much.', but luckily, I stopped myself on time. I have to keep him on a safe distance. I just have to. I must fight back those feelings. 'Repeat: don't want to get hurt again, don't want to get hurt again.', I instructed myself.

            Good. Now, that could work! We'll be friends.

            'Friends my ass!', my mind said. I ignored that. 'Friends. Right, that's it!', I persuaded myself while we walked.

            We started talking, without mentioning the marks on his neck and how he got them. We came to Melanie's place quickly. Zoya pressed 'play' on DVD player and the movie started. Melanie got popcorn for us. We settled and watched the movie. I glanced a few times in his direction. No one noticed, thankfully.

            Later, when Zoya and I were in our beds, I told her quietly: "ZoyToy, I think I'm falling for him.".

            She didn't reply anything, I guess she fell asleep as soon as she hit the bed.

In the meantime...

James's POV

            As we were watching some old comedy named "Spaceballs" Melanie had on DVD, we laughed a lot. I heard Dina laughs, but I was too afraid to look over at her. I didn't want anyone to notice I like her, which would only complicate things. She wanted us to be just friends. So, friends we'll be. Better to have her close in any way, than no way at all, right? When the movie finished, I said 'goodnight' to the girls and went home. We had a show to do tomorrow.

            In the morning, I got up and prepared myself for the show, mentally and physically. As she announced the show to the audience, Melanie said there had been some changes in the script. So that audience wouldn't get too surprised or disappointed. Everything went just the way Dina and I have arranged. Audience was pleased anyway. Every member of our crew visibly relaxed at the big round of applause that roared through the theatre at the end of the show.

            Later we signed some cards and took some photos with the audience that wanted the photo with us. Which was most of the audience. The whole crew went for a drink at the bar, the same one where that girl kissed me the other night. She was there, again.

            "Oh, crap!", was all I could mutter. Zoya started to laugh. I didn't know why.

            The girl approached me: "Hello, handsome! Wanna hook up with me again?", she asked with a wide, flirty smile. She was really pretty looking girl, but not even close to how pretty Dina was.

            Just when I wanted to answer, I heard: "Last time it looked like you were hooked up 'on' him, not 'with' him. He left this place alone, so you didn't actually 'hooked up' as you'd call it.", Zoya said amused.

            She emphasized the words 'on', 'with' and 'hooked up'. Everyone looked shocked at Zoya, including me. 'Did she knew what really happened that night?', I thought hopefully. She reached in her pocket, getting her phone out. She searched for something, and a few seconds later, when she found what she was searching for, she turned the phone to the group of people around me. Dina, Melanie, our whole crew and that girl, Lisa, Laura or whatever her name was.

            Everyone started to laugh at the video, except the girl. It was a video of her kissing me, but I didn't make any move on her to show her I was interested. I thought happily 'Thank God! Now Dina will know what really happened.'. Zoya interrupted my thoughts, talking to the girl again.

            "Didn't you get the hint he's not interested in you? Like, at all?", she asked the girl, amused, cocking her head to the side.

            The girl ran away, embarrassed. Our crew was amused, but soon they found a new interesting subject to talk about. I was thankful for that.

            "Thank you, Zoya.", I whispered to her when we were alone.

            She smiled and said: "No prob, buddy!".