Chapter 23 - Pic of Jenny

© Copyright material

CHAPTER 23

Earlier that day...

James's POV

            When I finished with work I received a message from Dina: "Hey baby :) Have you finished with work? Go home and sleep and I'll come to you tomorrow. Jake is at work and I'd like to spend more time with Zoya. Girls' day. :) Love you :) Sleep well. :* ".

            I was slightly sad, but I understand if she wants to spend the day with Zoya. Jake is at work, and I wouldn't be such a great company anyway, I was exhausted.

            I replied: "Work done. Ok, baby, but you'll make it up to me tomorrow ;) :* Love you too. :) ".

            She wrote quickly: "Sure baby, what will you wear? ;) ".

            "Anything you want. ;) ", was my reply.

            " :* ILY", she wrote shortly.

            I smiled and entered my car, going home. It was 9 pm when the ringing of my phone woke me up. It was my captain.

            I answered sleepily: "Hello?".

            "James, I'm sorry to bother you, I know it's unplanned, but we have a situation, and only you can help with this one. Everyone else is already taken with other assignments. I'm really sorry, but you'll have to go out of town on another undercover mission...", he drifted.

            A few seconds later he continued: "...for two months.". I sat up in my bed quickly. Shit! What?! Two months?

            Since I didn't reply anything yet, he asked: "James? Are you there?".

            "Yes... Yes, Sir, I'm here...", I said slowly, not believing what I've just heard.

            Then he continued: "Ok, good. I know it's a short notice. You will be leaving tomorrow afternoon...".

            "Tomorrow?!", I said a bit loudly, getting up from my bed, gripping my hair with my hand.

            "Yes, tomorrow afternoon. I'm sorry for...", he said apologizing.

            I asked hopefully, interrupting him: "Isn't there anyone else who could go instead of me? Please Sir.".

            "I'm really sorry, James. No one else of your rank is available. And the situation is serious and we need to take actions ASAP. Everything will be set up for tomorrow afternoon. I'll tell you the details when I see you, can't do it over the phone. I'm really sorry, James.", he stated. I leaned my head against the wall, looking to the floor.

            "Ok, Sir. I understand. See you tomorrow then.", I replied sadly.    

            "I'll send Jimmy to pick you up at 3 pm. Good night, James.", he said.

            "Good night, Sir.", we hung up.

            Great! Just fucking great! I need to call Dina. I have to tell her. I'm leaving tomorrow. I won't see her for the next 2 months. Oh, God, 2 months!

            I called her, not being able to type a message: "Hey baby, I know you wanted to spend some time with Zoya, but can I see you tonight? It's important.".

            She said quickly: "Sure baby. Zoya fell asleep a little while ago. I'll be right there. I was planning on surprising you anyway.". About 15 minutes later she was here.

            "What happened, baby?", she asked worriedly, reaching for my face as soon as I opened the door.

            She got inside, kissed me and I said: "I have to tell you something, and it's not good.". She looked at me worriedly.

            I continued: "The captain called me 20 minutes ago. He said I'll have to go on an undercover assignment.".

            She hugged me, saying: "It's ok, baby. I understand. That's your job. For how long?". She kissed me.

            "Two months.", I replied shortly. She got sad.

            "Two... Two months...?", she stuttered.

            And then, before I confirmed, she said: "It's ok, baby. I'll wait for you to come back. Don't worry.".

            I hugged her tightly and whispered to her ear: "It gets worse.",

            I sighed and continued: "I have to go tomorrow afternoon.".

            She got higher on her toes and hugged me tighter around my neck, breathing in my neck: "Tomorrow? But that's just... That's too soon.", she said sadly.

            I pulled away from the hug, taking her face with my hands, tilting it upwards to face me. Her eyes were wet.

            "I know, baby.", I said wiping the tear that fell from her eye. She hugged me again.

            "That's why I wanted to see you tonight, and couldn't wait till tomorrow.", I said, kissing her hair. She smelled nice.

            I placed my chin on the top of her head, hugging her. She hugged me back and we just stayed like that for a few minutes. We spent the night together, enjoying each other nearness, touches and kisses. In the morning I started packing my things and she helped me. We made lunch together and ate it. I took a shower and got dressed in my uniform. It was 2:45 pm already. She was in the kitchen, washing the dishes.

            I had to leave in about 15 minutes. I have only 15 minutes left with her, and after that I won't see her for the next 2 months. I started to walk towards the kitchen where she was, when someone knocked on my door.

            I opened the door and a girl started screaming at me: "This is your fault! You can't back down now!". I looked at her, confused and shocked. She was very angry. It was Jenny.