Chapter 2

Emily P.O.V
Three years ago~

"Smile it's your first day of freshman year!" My sister announces snapping the picture of me in my dark purple short dress.

"I'm so proud of you!" My mom announces hugging me tight. I flip my curled behind my back after pulling away from the hug.

"Thanks mom." I smile looking down in embarrassment. I hug my sister and dad, plus Jeffery then I walk to the bus stop.

The bus pulls up after five minutes of waiting. I step up looking around for a seat. I hear someone call my name out loud before I even start looking around.

"Emily." A guy's voice says, making everyone in the bus look at me. I looked up and it was Justin. His hair was messy and his eyes looked tired. I smile sitting next to him.

"I didn't know you took the bus." I chuckle setting my book bag down on the ground. I look up at Justin who was already looking at me smirking.

"It's a one time thing." He shrugs his shoulders looking out the window briefly.

"I didn't want you to sit with another guy." He says hesitantly nudging my shoulder gently.

"I didn't have to sit with anyone actually." I crease me eyebrows rolling my eyes getting my phone out of my bag.

"Well I didn't need another boy trying to sit and talk to you, plus he might ask you out." He continues to say, slouching in the bus seat.

"Right because I would say yes." I shake my head chuckling.

"Is that attitude I sense?" He asks raising an eyebrow at me.

"Yeah..maybe it is." I say nodding my head.
***
"Thanks for walking me to my classes, I probably wouldn't have survived without you." I nod my head digging in my locker for my English book I forgot to take with me.

"I actually need to ask you something." Justin interjects while I shut my locker closed. He leaned against the lockers next to mine and looked at me with an intense face.

"What would you say if I asked you out?" He says playing with his geometry book. He then looks up at my shocked face.

"Are you?" I ask trying not to let the dry lump in my throat stop me from talking.

Stop acting starstruck you fucking kissed him already!

"If I was?" He says not looking away from me. He looked for a second worried and a bit scared.

"Don't worry I would say yes." I punch his shoulder lightly, trying not to hurt him.

"You'd go out with me on Friday..?" He says, curiously wiggling his eyebrows.

"Yeah..I'll go out with you."
***
"You did this?" I ask looking up at the flowers scattered everywhere on the ground of his apartment.

"Yeah." He says grabbing my hand lending me to the table that was light up nicely.

"You didn't have to go all out." I chuckle following right behind him.

"Well I had to make you stay." He says pulling out the chair for me to sit in, which I kindly do.

"So tell me about you." Justin asks sitting down across from me. He didn't once looked at anything else but me.

"Well..I have an older sister and an older overprotective brother." I say smiling down at the food thinking about Jeffery.

"My sister she has a son named Jeffery. He's the sweetest ever." I gush over him rambling over my family.

"What about you? Any siblings?" I ask digging into the pasta he made.

"I had an older brother, his name was Elijah." Justin says digging into the pasta too.

"What about your parents?" I ask curiously putting my fork down.

"My parents...? They weren't good people." He shakes his head tightening his hands into fists.

"They used to hit me." He says sadly unclenching his hands, making me grab his hand.

"I'm sorry I even asked, plus I'm sorry you went through that." I say squeezing onto his hand.

"It's fine Emily. I just wanted you to know me before you don't like me anymore." He chuckles intertwining our fingers together.

"I don't think I could ever not like you." I say pulling my hand away from his.

"Yeah. I don't think I could ever not like you either." He says shaking his head.

The first red flag I should have seen was when he told me his parents hit him. I should have been more cautious of the red flags. That time I didn't think there was any nor did I think Justin could turn into the person he is now.
———-/—————————-/—————————————
Thank you for reading🙏❤️
It really means a lot to me.