Chapter 37

I opened my eyes and the first thing I hear is jazz music. I look around at my environment. "What?" I asked myself. I was standing in Rousseau's Bar back home in New Orleans, Louisiana. "I'll be damned." A voice announced with a laugh. I turned around to see the Necromancer chilling on a stool at the bar with a martini. "I mean, I'm obviously damned, but it worked." He stated. "What the hell are we doing here?" I asked him. "You are the one who invited yourself along." He answered. I walked to him. "Here. This restaurant is in New Orleans. I've spent half my childhood here." I explained. "Yes. Rousseau's. I spent a good amount of time here before the 1920s." He started pouring himself another glass. "Your father was good for my business, always killing people. Along with the rest of your immortal family. Well, they're not exactly immortal anymore, are they? Well...most of 'em anyways. Correct me if I'm wrong...I reckon the only immortal relative you still got alive is your uncle Kol Mikaelson and your adoptive brother, Marcel Gerard. Also...both good for my business. In fact, your entire family was good for my business. Along with your beloved mother." He explained with a smirk. "How do you know about my mom?" I asked. "Well, she's standing right behind you." He said pointing behind me. I spun around to find nothing there. Necromancer let out a laugh. "Kidding. Kidding. But her spirit is all around you. Plus, she and I did our fair share of drinking here when she was at her most murdery. Well, when she was a hybrid to not be messed with." He said. "Are you messing with me right now?" I asked. "Frankly, I think you're the one messing with me. All this talk about solving the mystery of Malivore. I think you and I both know which mystery you'd love to solve. You want to know how much longer you got before you lose control to that beast inside." He said smirking in my face. "Or should I say, the Nogitsune? Huh?" He added. "No. No, I don't." I answered. "Sure you do. You want to know what'll happen if you completely lost your marbles and went on a murder spree like your father." He explained. "Hmm. Not to bother. I'm not telling you anything until we've finished our journey. Now, let's get started shall we?" He said. "This is my conscious mind. We need to find the door to my subconscious. Look for a hallway to nowhere, an endless staircase. Something like that." He explained. My acute supernatural hearing picked up on music outside the bar. 

"Ooh, a second line. My favorite." He stated. The two of us walked outside to find just that. A second line. Meaning...someone has died. "How I love the macabre!" Necromancer exclaimed. "Oh, oh, the dance of death." He added. "I wonder, who's the guest of honor? Let's take a look." He said pointing to a casket. "Perhaps, Klaus Mikaelson. Wouldn't that be something? Given where he is now." He said. "No!" I shouted running to the now open casket. "Ooh. That's a surprise. Never would've imagined that I'd find you in here." He said. I stared at myself in a white tuxedo and deathly pale skin. "My guess...you lost." Necromancer said beside me. "No. I don't believe that." I said shaking my head. "What's not to believe? The evidence is right there. If I may, you look very much like your uncle Kol when your dead." Necromancer said with a smirk. The dead me snapped open his eyes and I noticed they had violet irises and black sclera. Black wispy smoke emanated from the body before a shadowy clawed hand shot out from the shadows and pulled the shadow of me into the black abyss beneath it. "Well...that was terrifying, now wasn't it?" Necromancer asked peering into the darkness. "What is this?" I asked him as cold sweat beaded down my face. "You're fearful...Never pictured you to get so frightened of your own demon." He said. "I asked you a question, Frankenstein!" I snarled. "Alright, alright. No need to get hostile, you little murder fox." He said rolling his eyes. I stared at him waiting for an answer. "Isn't it obvious? No? Well. May I present the door to my subconscious? Well done, you." He finally said before jumping into the casket and disappeared inside as the casket closed behind him. I flung it open to find the black abyss was gone. I spun around to see the second line had disappeared as well. "Well...that could have gone better." I said to myself.