Chapter 9

I woke up slowly and got to my feet unsteadily. I saw Hope standing above the now human-formed dragon. The knife held firmly in Hope's raised hand. I watched as the woman turned away and turned back around, neck glowing. Alaric rushed in and grabbed the knife from my sister and drove it into the woman's neck. I walked over to them and stared down at the dead body in front of me. "Did not expect my day to go like this." I quipped crossing my arms. Hope looked at me deadpanned. "What?" I asked. She rolled her eyes as Alaric pushed past me to pick something up off the ground. He turned around standing to his full height. "What is this?!" He shouted. "This is a death spell. We don't allow black magic! It gets inside your heart and it poisons your mind." Alaric yelled. My sister stood silent as Alaric ranted on. Alaric thought for a moment. "Wait...we didn't know about the dragon until we arrived at the cellar. Which means you had other uses for this. I get that Landon messed up. It was a stupid mistake but that doesn't mean he deserves to die!" Alaric ranted. "Ease down a bit, the dude lied to her." I chimed in. "Don't even get me started on you, Stiles! Ever since you came back from the church you've been aggressive, dark, and prone to near outburst of rage. This. This black magic is only going to make the darkness inside of you stronger. This darkens your soul to the point you can't come back. You of all people should know what happens when you use black magic, Stiles. Bad things happen!" Alaric raged on as I fought back tears.

"Especially with you. I thought you knew better than that? Not only did you endanger yourself! You endangered the lives of the school, Landon, Rafael, me, and your own sister! Don't you get what you're doing is dangerous?! Your mother would be ashamed to hear of you tapping into a power that nearly killed you in the first place. The same power that got your father killed! All of this rage...this darkness...this anger. This isn't you. This? This is your father. If you keep going down this path, you'll end up just like him. And his sacrifice would have been for nothing. Your promise to honor your parents would be meaningless." Alaric yelled. "I was protecting her." I spat. "How in the hell are you going to protect Hope if you're dead?! Huh?!" Alaric countered. I looked up at him in tears. "Your entire family would be ashamed of you. Because I sure as hell am."  Dr. Saltzman said. "Now. Bury the body. And meet me back at the SUV." Alaric ordered walking passed me back to the road. Hope wrapped her arms around me. "He didn't mean that. And you know it." Hope said. "Really? 'Cause it feels like he did." I said breaking away from the supportive embrace to grab a shovel.