Chapter Eight

"Um excuse me. May I ask a small question?" Sonia asked.

"What is it Sonia?" Kazuichi asked her with a smile as you rolled your eyes.

"I apologize for going back to the previous subject, but there is one thing that still worries me about the night vision goggles. If it was Togami who used the goggles, how was the culprit able to conquer the darkness?" Sonia asked.

"I see, if they didn't have the goggles they couldn't see anything. But in that case they couldn't have retrieved the knife from under the table and wouldn't be seen by Togami, would they?" Teruteru asked.

"Even if they'd set up some kind of a landmark, they wouldn't be able to see it in that darkness," Nekomaru agreed.

"What if their landmark was covered in glow in the dark paint? That way they'd have been able to see the knife in the dark!" You said quickly.

"Exactly. You see, both the knife we found under the table and the packing tape that was stuck to its underside were covered with that kind of paint," Hajime agreed.

"Does that mean, that the culprit painted them in advance?" Mikan asked.

"But that would mean, wouldn't they need to have known in advance that the power would go out?" Mahiru asked.

"They must have known. That's probably why they used to glow in the dark paint as a landmark," Chiaki agreed.

"That means whoever caused that power outage is our culprit!" Hiyoko said.

"Well that's it then! The culprit's the one who was in the room with the circuit breakers. In other words, it's you- Peko Pekoyama!" Kazuichi yelled.

"Hyaa! Peko killed Togami? We're losing both of our glasses wearing characters?!" Ibuki exclaimed.

"I am not the culprit," Peko stated.

"Peko wouldn't kill anyone!" You argued.

"And she says she's not the culprit!" Akane agreed.

"Don't believe people so easily!" Kazuichi yelled at the two of you.

"But I don't think Peko is tall enough to reach the fusebox in that office," Mikan said.

"That's a tiny problem that doesn't mean anything! I'm telling you, Peko flipped the breakers and caused the blackout!" Kazuichi yelled.

"Until you can show me evidence of how she could reach the breakers I'm not believing anything that you say!" You argued.

"Peko was in the office, and so she could cause the power outage any time she wanted!" Kazuichi declared.

"No, that was impossible," Peko stated.

"Eh? Why so?" Hiyoko asked.

"Because I wasn't in the office. From before the outage, until after it was over," Peko sighed.

"I agree! I think she's telling the truth!" You nodded.

"Oh I get it. You've fallen for her, haven't you?" Kazuichi asked.

"This isn't about who I'm willing to fuck!" You snapped. "But Nekomaru's statement is her alibi! He stated that someone was in the bathroom the entire time from before the party until the body was found. Unless it was Chiaki or Fuyuhiko then it had to be Peko!" You exclaimed.

"It's true. Someone had been making exclusive use of the toilet since just after the party started. It was finally vacant again after we found Togami's body," Nekomaru agreed.

"Ah! So maybe the person who was in the toilet is," Mahiru began.

"Everyone except Peko was in the big hall after the party started, right?" Hajime asked.