16. Diaval

Once upon a time in a land that no human had laid eyes on lived two sisters

      Once upon a time in a land that no human had laid eyes on lived two sisters. Their names were Maleficent and (Y/N). 

     They were as close as could be. However, despite being sisters, they were rather unalike. While Maleficent had horns, pale green eyes, and dark brown wings (Y/N) only had pure white wings. 

     When Maleficent had discovered Stephan on that fateful day in the pool of jewels she was quick to trust. (Y/N) was suspicious of the thief and continued to voice her concerns as the sisters grew older.

     Maleficent grew to be the protector of the moors. Fierce and a warrior in her own right.

     (Y/N) remained her sweet and naive self. She kept the moor alive. She healed the sick fae and gardened the rare herbs and fruit that grew in the moor. She raised the fae children and taught them magic to their delight.

     When the King of the human realm dared to declare war, Maleficent was quick to defend their home. (Y/N) busied herself keeping the fae children safe and protected should the humans break Maleficent's defenses.

     Later that same night when Stephan had returned after so long away (Y/N) warned Maleficent against man's treachery. Her older sister failed to listen and it was with great heartache that (Y/N) watched her sister take the throne without her wings. 

     Perching next to her sister was an unlikely creature. A raven. It wasn't unusual to see animals in the moor but this bird was altered by magic. (Y/N) could sense it. She wasn't shocked when she discovered the raven could change shapes. He could change form from human to bird at will, but it was with Maleficent's magic that he could take other forms. His name was Diaval and besides being Maleficent's servant, Maleficent had also ordered for him to be her little sister's protector.

     When Diaval wasn't with Maleficent he was often beside (Y/N). The princess of the Fae wasn't aware that she was being guarded. Still the two became fast friends.

     Maleficent would leave for hours at a time to patrol the moor. When she did (Y/N) would gather the other fae and dance and laugh to the whimsical music that hadn't been heard for years. Often times she would drag Diaval to join her, laughing as her (Y/H/C) hair swung behind her.

     "Come now, Diaval." She would call to him each night. "Come, dance with me!"

     And each night he would refuse. Until one night, everything changed.

       "Come now, Diaval!" (Y/N) beckoned. "I need a dancing partner and Balthazar has two left feet."

     He smiled at her and lightly threw some mud her way, refusing to join in the dance.