Chapter 25 ― Ready

Being challenged in life is inevitable, being defeated is optional.

— Roger Crawford.

Chapter 25

READY

•••

The past few days came in a flash. Hyejin and her friends found themselves working without getting any rest. As they reached the end of summer, the Hospital was filled by the reprisals of all the Festivals that occurred during the period.

This period always showed an increase in car accidents, mostly due to drug abuse. There were tons of different cases : people that caused the accidents and those who ended up being there at the wrong time.

After a long week and a half of cyclic actions, today was finally slowing their work hours down. Hyejin removed her stethoscope and placed it around her neck before typing the results on her iPad,

"Ok, M. Lim, there's nothing wrong with your heart. Let's just slow down on the energy drinks, alright?"

"Are you sure, doctor? I didn't even drink one this morning" The patient questioned. His inner brow rose up and his head bended down to its side.

Hyejin lifted her left brow, amused by the situation. This kid was seriously doubting her abilities as a doctor, not that she's bragging about it or anything. She placed the iPad against her chest and hugged it helplessly,

"Have you drink last night? Like went to a party or something?"

A cheerful expression made its way to the teenager's face, "Ha, yeah. An epic one, actually."

Hyejin sighed in disbelief before placing a hand on her hip, "Have you had a drink called Jager Bomb? You know, it's made of Jagermeister and Redbull. "

The young man glanced at the ceiling for a couple of seconds, trying to recall the event from his previous night out until it clicked. He snapped his fingers together and pointed at the doctor next to him,

"Oh! Yes! Woah, you know this one Doc? Isn't it really good?"

"Oh yeah, really good for your mouth," She pulled out a large smile for a couple of seconds before letting it fall into a thin line, "But not so good for your heart. No energy drinks AND alcohol for a week, alright?"

The young man grimaced but ended up nodding anyway, "Will do. Thanks Doc."

Hyejin nodded her head before turning her back to her patient. A defeated look replaced her previous one as she directed herself to the nurse counter where Chaeyoung and Jin were already standing.

"I'm bored."

She whined as she joined them staring at the surgery schedule board. The two neuro surgeons hummed in response.

Soon enough, the counter was filled with bored surgeons. Baekhyun joined the trio followed by Johnny a couple of minutes later. They all looked beaten up as they were tired of seeing the same cases over and over again.

"What's been your longest surgery so far?" Jin spoke out lazily.

"2 hours." Johnny groaned causing Hyejin to let out a laugh full of irony.

"I beat you. One hour and a half. I ended up doing general surgeries since there's no action in cardio."

"Um, same"

"THREE AMBULANCES COMING !" Nurses started rushing everywhere and the three doctors sighed in disbelief,

"Er, here we go again with some teenagers fighting around the neighb—"

"SHOOTING IN SEOUL HIGH SCHOOL" The medical staff shouted, cutting Baekhyun in his track, "A DOZEN VICTIMS ARE COMING !"

The group of friends straightened up in alert. They all rushed to get their surgical attires after which they ran outside of the ER, ready to welcome the victims.

As they were all focused to the entrance, Hyejin looked up at her brother. She tapped her foot on the floor uncontrollably, trying to calm herself down. The adrenaline was getting the best of her. She was ready but stressed and the look on her brother's face comforted her. Jin was confident and focused.

Jin felt her eyes on him and glanced down at her. With a soft smile on his face, he nodded, encouraging her even more, "Ready?"

"Yes."

After waiting for a moment, the sirens could be heard getting closer to their position. In a blink of an eye, the three ambulances parked in front of the ER and the group of doctors automatically dispersed into teams.

"JUNG JIYEON, 16, SHOT IN BOTH LEFT ARM AND ABDOMEN !"

The ambulance's doors shot opened revealing three emergency doctors. Hyejin and Chaeyoung rushed to the bed and took their places, pulling the bed to the inside.

"PREPARE BLOOD BAGS, SHE'S LOOSING A LOT OF BLOOD !" Hyejin shouted on top of her lungs and the entire medical staff obeyed.

"BOOK OR 3!" Chaeyoung ordered from the other side as she examined the patient's pupils, "Hyejin, her brain activities seem normal."

Hyejin nodded after listening to her bestfriend's results, "Alright, go help the others, I'll take care of her."

With one last nod, Chaeyoung ran away letting Jeno and Jaemin with Hyejin.

"Jeno, take Laya's place and keep a pressure on her abdomen! Jaemin, same for her arm!"

The two interns did as told without even taking in another breath, "Ok let's go!"