Chapter 9 ― Park Chaeyoung

Friendship improves happiness, and abates misery, by doubling our joys and dividing our grief.

— Marcus Tullius Cicero.

⊱Chapter 9⊰

PARK CHAEYOUNG

It was an on-call night for Hyejin and Seokjin tonight. The two of them were either checking on their patients or doing their rounds in the emergency department.

Overall, it was quite a quiet night so Hyejin decided to go to the attendings' lounge to rest.

As she walked towards the long sofa, a memory snapped her. A smile made its way on her face as she grabbed Hoseok's sandwich out of the fridge.

"The best." She declared proudly before unwrapping her dinner.

Suddenly, her smartphone rang off. She reached for it in the pocket of her white blouse and her face immediately lightened up.

She sat on the sofa and swiped right.

"Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii~"

"Hiiii!" Hyejin followed her bestfriend's excitement.

"Park Chaeyoung on the phone. I need a consultation."

Hyejin chuckled, knowing Chaeyoung was up for something, "What are you symptoms?"

"I heard you were a cardiothoracic doctor and I was wondering why I have a hole in my heart ever since my roommate and bestfriend left Melbourne?" Chaeyoung faked a cry on the other end of the line.

Hyejin laughed, rolling her eyes in amusement, "What's up Chae?"

"I'm bored! I'm at work. I have two procedures left then Chan will take care of the postops so I can start packing." Chaeyoung explained until her eyes stopped on her friend's action, "What are you eating?"

"Hobi made me a sandwich earlier."

"Hobi made me a sandwich," Chaeyoung imitated with a grimace, "Bragging while others have to eat porridge. Hospital ones."

Hyejin almost choke on her bite at the comment. She let out another laugh before continuing, "Oh. I have to tell you something!"

Chaeyoung gasped. She immediately sat properly on her seat and place the phone on the coffee table in front of her, making sure it was steady. "I'm ready."

"I saw Jungkook earlier."

"Ew. What's new, he's one of your brother's bestfriends." She grimaced.

"Hand-in-hand with Soyeon"

Now it was Chaeyoung turn to almost die on her porridge at the sound of the familiar name. She coughed intensely, trying to catch her breath.

"Ya, don't die on me like this I'm not here to do a CPR."

Chaeyoung waved one hand in front of her while the other one hit her chest a couple of times.

"Woah.." She breathed out heavily, "I didn't expect her name to come up."

"I can see that."

"Wow!" She heaved out a deep sigh as she finally stabilized herself, "I can't believe that. They were hand in hand like a couple? Or like friends?"

"What friends walk hand-in-hand?" Hyejin squinted her eyes in disbelief.

"You and me? Taehyung and Jimin? Yoongi and—"

"Ok, ok I get it." Hyejin rolled her eyes, "Like a couple. Plus, she called him 'babe'."

"Kim Hyejin, settle yourself comfortably because I'm gonna throw it all up on you." Chaeyoung informed before taking a sip of water. Hyejin heaved out a sigh and threw herself down on the sofa, laying in full length.

"Why did I even speak." She whispered only for her to hear.

"I told you from the very beginning how I felt about this girl. She has no respect for you, whatsoever, and only friended you out of envy for your relationships with the boys. I only accepted her into our circle because I know nothing can set your mind else where, which leads you to learn through hurtful events." She declared.

"Now, you Kim fucking Hyejin, will not fall into this circle again. I know you as if I made you and I know seeing them made you feel some type of way even if it's not love or jealousy. Am I right?" She asked, earning a nod from her friend.

"Right. Then, no. Australia made us grow and we aren't letting anyone pull us down anymore. If I see one more person trying to take advantage of your kindness, I'll not only kill them and make sure none of us surgeons take care of them but I'll kill you too."

Expecting her rant to take longer, Hyejin spoke out, "Are you done?"

"Just starting." She responded ironically, "It took us a year and a half to finally put you back on track and build yourself a good armour. You, Kim fucking Hyejin aren't gonna let those people hurt you ok?"

"Chaeyoung-ah"

"What ?"

"They didn't do anything and I didn't got hurt. You're in a non-sense monologue for absolutely no reasons." She chuckled but Chaeyoung remained serious.

"I know, I'm just anticipating. Take note of what I'll say because a love declaration is going your way." She sighed heavily, "When you cry, I cry. When you get your heart broken, mine shatters twice as much. I don't want that to happen again."

"I know, Chae, I know." She softened at her friend's words.

The girls' friendship has always been strong. They've known each other for years now.

As they both have parents that had intense jobs, they both spent most of their time at a nursery which is where they first met. Ever since then, the duo never separated.

Growing up, people came and went but none of them really stayed with the girls. Instead, they just ended up hurting them.

However, they didn't let those bad experiences break them and took them as lessons. Now, they are more united than ever and they are equipped against anything and anyone who'll want to hurt them.

"Oh." Chaeyoung reacted at the sound of her pager going off, "I have to go."

"Alright, go ahead and save some lives." Hyejin winked, feeling proud.

"I sure will. I love you Jinie."

"I love you too, Chae."