Chapter 24 ― Some Friends

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.

— Albert Einstein.

Chapter 24

SOME FRIENDS

•••

Hyejin dragged herself around the hallway lazily, with her hands in her pockets. The day's been calm so far and she was just waiting for some actions to happen.

As she stepped in the elevator, she stared at the different buttons until something clicked in her mind.

A minute later, Hyejin exited the elevator and walked down the corridor with no particular expectations.

Her eyes softened at the sight before her. A kid playing in his room looked pretty much happy but she knew it shouldn't be his place to be.

The entire aura of this department brought an odd feeling causing her to feel uneasy.

A few people had offered Hyejin to join paediatric but she declined. She wasn't so good with kids to begin with but most importantly, she wasn't able to handle it.

"Dr. Kim?"

Hyejin shook her head back to reality and turned on her heels. Johnny's bright aura shined before her.

Instantly, a smile made its way to her face, "Hey"

"What brings you to the ped?" He said, walking closer to her with both of his hands in his pockets.

Hyejin shrugged and looked around her, "I don't know. I was curious."

Johnny tilted his head and grinned, "Do you want a tour?"

"Sure"

The doctors walked down the corridors with Johnny introducing his patients with care and attention. The look on his face brought something in Hyejin. He looked so proud of presenting his 'little humans' like he likes to call them.

Johnny began to tell her a few stories that happened in the ped, like how they celebrate birthdays or how they simply try to make the Hospital a better place for the kids.

That's when she remembered the day she assisted her superior attending back in Melbourne.

As an intern, she had to switch between departments and this one particular day, she was in paediatric.

A flash lightened up in her mind. The patient was laying on the metal table with her chest wide opened. She was 5.

She was loosing a lot of blood and the attending declared she couldn't do anything more then placed his tools down.

The faint sound of the cardiac monitor resonated in the room while the medical staff stared down at the lifeless body of a five-year-old girl.

Johnny looked over his shoulder and saw Hyejin who was watching a little girl that was connected to monitors with so much sadness and empathy. His eyes softened.

"What's your history with ped?" He suddenly asked.

"It's where I lost my first patient"