Chapter 1 ― Welcome Home

a/n: Welcome to my book. It is based on my real life but note that it is of course romanized because.. who wouldn't be dreaming of that? So, though I would love everything in this book to be real, this is a pure creation of mind.

Thank you for giving me your time, I really appreciate it and won't ever take it for granted! -PL.

• • •

QOTD

Your presence can give happiness. I hope you remember that.

– Kim Seokjin.

|| Chapter 1 ||

WELCOME HOME

•  •  •

"Ladies and gentlemen, as we start our descent, please make sure your seat back and tray tables are in their full upright positions. Make sure your seat belts are securely fastened—"

The flight attendant's voice reverberated in the entire cabin, bringing most of the passengers to open their eyes.

"Flight attendants, prepare for landing please."

Hyejin's eyes began to see the light as she slowly pulled her lids open. Straightening herself on her seat, she stretched her arms out to wake herself up. Her attention drifted to the window on her left side and she contemplated the breathtaking sight.

Seoul was beautifully twinkling under the plane, a sea of light enlightening the way through the darkness of the night. It gave the impression of flying over the stars. Her eyes softened as the feeling of finally returning home took over her.

"I'm home." She whispered to herself.

• •

"On behalf of Air Korea and the entire crew, I'd like to thank you for joining us on this trip and we are looking forward to seeing you on board again in the near future."

"You sure will." Hyejin stood up to grab on her travel bag.

After what felt like forever, Hyejin finally went through customs and was now waiting for her luggages. As she stared at the rolling mat, a feeling of excitement mixed with anticipation grew up in her.

It's been five years since the last time she laid foot here, in Seoul, Korea. In fact, Hyejin left her hometown to pursue her dream of becoming a surgeon along with her childhood best-friend. The two of them went all the way down to Melbourne, Australia to study and do their residency years together until someone offered them jobs in Seoul Grand Hospital.

However, Hyejin was alone today since her bestie had other things to take care of.

"There it is." A satisfied smile made its way to Hyejin's face upon seeing her all-black suitcase coming towards her position. Gathering all of her strength left in her, she pulled the last suitcase off the rolling mat and placed it on her trolley.

Hyejin looked around her trolley, making sure everything she needed was there. When she was finally ready, she made her to the exit.

The more she got near the exit, the more her stomach was twisting. Sweats forming on her hands made the hold on the trolley slippery. She was excited; excited to be back but mostly excited to see her family.

Five steps. That's what she was able to do before someone abruptly crashed on her, wrapping their arms around her tiny body as if they were afraid she'd leave again. The bags in her hands collided with the floor, creating a mess around them, one that they could care less.

A chuckle came out of her mouth before she rapidly placed her arms around her brother's figure.

"Hey, oppa." Her words brought the latter to squeeze her even more.

"Gentle— Woah— I can't breathe Jin." She patted his back and Jin was quick to release her, scratching the back of his head.

"Sorry." He bended down to grab her travel bags and placed them on the trolley then went behind it to push it. "Let's go?"

Hyejin followed her older brother and, while they walked their way down to their car, the sibling started catching up on their respective lives.

The two of them would call each other often but their jobs made it difficult most of the time. In fact, Jin is also a surgeon. A very good one to say the least, just like their parents. Ever since they were kids, they shared the same passions and moto. They wanted to help others, to save lives. Jin had already shown how great of a doctor he was and it was now his little sister's turn to carry the Kim's name further up.

"Get ready." Jin stated with his eyes straight forward causing the girl to blink in confusion.

"Why?"

"They're already crying."

Hyejin followed her brother's gaze and got a glimpse of her parents, both standing by their SUV while cuddling each other.

Ms. Kim had her hands on her face, wiping her tears away, while M. Kim tried his best to act tough but it only accentuated his red eyes.

"Oh no." She gasped.

"My baby.." Ms. Kim exhaled a deep breath of relief when she walked to her daughter, her arms spread out.

In a second, Hyejin was pulled into a warm embrace. One that she's been dreaming of for weeks.

She was the one who decided to go oversea but she'd be lying to say she didn't miss her parents' presences and comfort.

"Hey mom." She softly spoke, closing her eyes to appreciate the moment.

"My princess is back." Now it was M. Kim's turn to speak as he joined the two women of his life by wrapping them with his arms.

This moment was precious and it felt even better than the one of her dreams. Hyejin wasn't one to cry but instead, she couldn't control the smile on her face until something caught her attention.

A faint sound came out from the side. It sounded like sobs.

Hyejin opened her eyes and caught Jin sobbing tears of happiness on the side. She softened, chuckling a little, and extended her arm out.

"Come." She mouthed.

Without an ounce of hesitation, Jin wiped his tears off and joined his family. The four of them stayed like this for a while. They were finally whole again.

"Welcome home, Jinie."