Chapter 11 ― Passion

Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.

— Theodore Roosevelt.

⊱Chapter 11⊰

PASSION

"What's with the noise?"

"Ya, can you stop moving?"

"Arg, wait, I'm trying to find a position!"

"We can't even hear the movie."

"We can't even hear the movie," Hyejin mimicked Jimin's sentence with a grimace before making her last move and hitting her perfect position, "Ouh, there it is."

Hyejin comfortably hugged her comforter and buried herself in the crook of the sofa. The others shook their heads off and went back to watching the movie.

They all agreed to spend the night in a more relaxed way after having a long day at work. The room was quiet as they all watched the action movie with attention and care.

"How can she go this way knowing perfectly it's gonna be a trap?"

"I know right. Stupid." Hyejin rolled her eyes at Hoseok's comment only to earn a common shush, "Ya, let us talk in peace."

"No, don't." Yoongi added.

"You're no fun—"

Hyejin was cut by a high-pitched sound coming from her purse on the dresser by the entrance followed by another one coming from the coffee table.

The siblings looked at each other for a split second, recognizing the sound of their pagers, before they both stormed out of their blankets. Hyejin ran to her room while Seokjin went to his.

The second elder of the group stretched out before pausing the movie for a moment,

"Someone drop them at the Hospital, they're tired." said Yoongi.

"Keys keys keys," Jin came back down wearing a shirt that was half way tuck in his pants.

Hyejin rushed down the stairs while tying her hair up, her eyes looking for the keys around the hallway furnitures.

"I'll drive you to the Hospital" Jungkook stood up from his seat, stretching his arms out.

"Ok, let's go!" Jin clapped his hands together.

"See you later guys!" The all waved at each other before the trio exited the house.

Twenty minutes later, the trio reached the Hospital. Jungkook pulled in front of the entrance and the siblings stormed out of the car.

Jungkook parked his car in Jin's reserved parking and waited, thoughts running through his mind. He was debating wether or not he should go but curiosity got the best of him and he stepped out of his car.

Walking down the hallway and onto the emergency department, Jungkook saw the actions of the medical team. Nurses and doctors were rushing everywhere and anywhere. His eyes scanned the area and soon landed on his friends,

"BRING THE CASH CART !"

Hyejin shouted as she started doing CPR on the unconscious patient. "Come on, Sir, don't let me down!"

A nurse hurried to the scene with the cart and Hyejin didn't take in another breath before giving instructions and grabbing the two metal handers. She rubbed them together as quickly as possible, her eyes never leaving her patient,

"CLEAR !"

All together, the medical staff took a step back and Hyejin placed the handers on the patient's chest, letting the electric charge penetrate him and lift his body for a faint second.

Her attention went back to the heart rate monitor and her face fell. She gulped down her worries and continued,

"CHARGE!" She rubbed the metal handers together and placed them back on his chest, "CLEAR !"

Jungkook watched the scene like it was from a movie. He's seen Jin in this position several times but it was a first to see Hyejin.

She was in her element.

The first thing that made him fall for Hyejin back in High School was her passion. She was passionate about everything she set her mind to : her family, her friends, her jobs.. everything. And now, he's able to witness it again.

She won't let her patient down. Despite her fatigue, despite the lack of sleep, she was determined. She wanted to save him no matter what.

And she did.

The heart rate monitor showed activities again. The patient's cardiac rhythm slowly came back and stabilized again.

Her face showed relief but she didn't lose her focus. She looked at her peers and began a speech only them could understand,

"Prepare him for surgery and call Ortho for his leg"

The nurse nodded and went ahead with her recent orders.

"Dr. Kim, the patient's son is in ER 2 with evident trauma to the chest. He's having trouble breathing," Hyejin didn't have to hear more and followed her peer,

"Dr. Lee, with me"

She told Jeno as the latter was still standing by their first patient, in shock at how bad his condition was. In fact, the latter had his leg almost ripped off by the accident and splashed his blood almost everywhere.

It wasn't shocking for most doctors but interns are here to learn and having to deal with such critical cases on their first years are always hard.

"Jeno, look at me," Hyejin called him informally and held onto the youngster's shoulder, "You want to be a surgeon, you'll have to deal with your emotions. I need you right now so I'll ask you once, are you with me or not?"

"Y-yes" He stumbled on his word but nodded anyway.

"Ok, with me, let's go!"

Jungkook was speechless. The girl who's afraid of horror movies and who can cry in front of romantic ones was now handling this situation like a pro.

A feeling in him raised up and he felt uncomfortable. His stomach bothered him and he didn't know why. However, he didn't have the time to think much about it as his phone rang in his back pocket.

He looked down at the screen and his face fell down, kinda feeling disappointed. He swiped right and accepted the call anyway,

"Hey"