Chapter 8

© Copyright material

CHAPTER 8

Dina's POV

            Why was I so upset about it? I met him just a few days ago. He wasn't my boyfriend. And he had someone, obviously. He would probably hurt me anyway. Better safe than sorry, right? I was tired of being hurt all the time. I won't let people hurt me anymore. When I got home after a long walk and thinking, I made a decision to ask Melanie for James's address, but she wasn't here. I'll ask her when I see her. I had to talk to him. Zoya was in our room already, watching something on her phone again. She looked amused.

            I asked smiling: "Hey ZoyToy, what are you doing?".

            I leaned myself slightly forward, above her phone, wondering what was she watching. It was on 'mute', but I saw it was some kind of a video. She moved her phone quickly, turning off the video she was watching. Ok, that was weird!

            "Uhm, nothing... I was just... Uhm, nothing, never mind. What are you up too? Wanna go out?", she started nervously changing the subject.

            "ZoyToy, are you hiding something from me?", I asked raising my eyebrow.

            She screamed quietly: "No! Of course not. I'm just preparing a surprise for you, but you're not allowed to see it just yet!", she said happily, relaxing a bit.

            Ok, nice attempt to get me off track, but it didn't work. 'Sorry if I'm not buying it, ZoyToy', I thought to myself. No need for her to know that. I guess I'll have to wait until she leaves her phone. Maybe while she's in the shower. She used to leave her phone then. I'll just wait for my chance. Until then, I'll try to get her off track, by making her believe I bought her excuse.

            "Really? A surprise? For me? And it's not even my birthday!", I faked, smiling.

            She said: "Well, yea! Duuuh!", and then she smiled.

            I said: "Ok. I won't ask about it. Where's Melanie?".

            "Oh, she went out. She said she'll be back in 15 minutes. That was a few minutes ago. She should be back soon.", she answered.

            I said: "Ok. I'll wait for her upstairs.".

            Zoya smiled and laid down on her bed again. I went upstairs and washed the dishes and then watched the TV while I waited for Melanie. She came back soon. She's been to the shop. I jumped from the couch.

            "Hey. Why didn't you tell me you're going to the shop? I'd go with you to help you.", I said quickly. She smiled to me, leaving the bags on the dining table.

            "It's ok. I didn't want to bother you.", she stated.

            "You wouldn't bother me. You're not our slave, you know.", I said.

            She laughed and I continued: "Just because the house is yours, it doesn't mean you have to work for us. We have hands too.".

            She laughed again: "Yea, I know. But I want you to enjoy your time here as much as you can. So maybe you'll come next year too?", she finished with a question.

            I smiled and nodded: "Of course, if I'm invited. But this year, I'll help anyway. I'll do my chores. And Zoya will too.", I finished. At first Melanie protested, but she gave up soon.