1: Curious

"What if he's mean! What if he's some jock?" I slumped my face into my pillow. I was on FaceTime with my best friend, Jin.

"You shouldn't worry too much. Mine doesn't treat me like trash," Jin tried reassuring me. It wasn't working. "Hey, look at the time! Only a few more seconds!"

"AH! NO! NOT YET!" I scrambled up to my feet as I pulled the strands of my hair.

12:00 AM. I'm eighteen now.

"Happy birthday, Hyun-jae!!" Jin had a mini confetti popper and popped it once he saw the time.

I immediately looked throughout my arms, constantly spinning them around to see if I missed anything. Then I found a writing in black ink on the back of my hand.

Hey, baby girl

"Bleh!" I gagged as I read it.

"Hyun-jae! What does it say?" Jin begged me since I was being so over dramatic about it.

"It says 'Hey, baby girl'. I knew it! I knew it was gonna be some creepy man!" I slumped, back first, onto the mattress of my bed.

"You're probably gonna regret saying that later on. Anyways, happy birthday Hyun-jae. I gotta sleep now," Jin waved at the screen before hanging up.

"Bye," I deeply sighed as I closed the laptop screen. "You better be some good person," I said as I stared at the writing. I decided to write him something back. I got up from my bed and grabbed a random marker.

What's your name?

I waited for a response.

I'm not telling you. You're gonna have to figure it out yourself.

Wow, that's so rude. I just wanted to know his name. How hard can that be? I've been waiting for this day, and this is what I get?

The following morning...

I got ready for school as soon as I woke up. I ate and left. My parents already left for work, so they gave me a couple of cash for my birthday nothing much.

I walked over to the train station to get to school. Yes, I have to take a train. My school doesn't provide us with transportation. I stood near the tracks and waited for my train.

"Sup, Hyun-jae," I heard a voice behind me which made me jump just a bit.

"Hey, Jin. It's been a while since you came to the train station with me. And why are you wearing that?" I scrunch my eyebrows to the sight of his weird outfit. He was wearing this long black trench coat with a black mask, black shades, and a black ball cap. There's literally no sun down here.

"Don't judge me. It's just... what I want to wear," he replied while cautiously looking around.

"Jin, no one's gonna pop out of nowhere and kill you. You look like a wacko," I flicked his shoulder.

"Shhhhhh! Don't say my name out in public!" He whispered harshly into my ear, "Use any other name besides Jin, like my full name, Seokjin." 

Jin didn't go to the same school as me. Well, he already graduated from college and has a job. He won't even tell me what he works as. Even though he's five years older than me, I'm up to this point where I don't even care anymore. We met here at the train station a couple of years ago when I was riding the train to school. He told me to pretend like we knew each other so I don't get kidnapped because I was young and vulnerable. We just ended becoming best friends after that. He's so goofy.

"Whatever," I rolled my eyes. The train came rolling around and I got onto it. "Wait, you're coming?" I then ask him as I saw him walk into the train car with me.

"Of course I am. You might get kidnapped if I let you roam around freely," he proceeded to sit next to me. "Hey, what's that on your arm?" He then pointed at my arm.

I looked at it. It was covered with scribbles.

"This boy! He's so immature!" I complained. How in the world is he my soulmate??

"It's okay, Hyun-jae. Maybe it will take a while until you guys get along," Jin reassured me by rubbing my back. Jin hasn't even found his soulmate at all. He told me that he gave up on searching. I feel so bad for him.

--
[A/N]

ok, um, how tf does this shit ass book have so many reads 🧍‍♀️

WHY ARE YOU GUYS READING THIS 🥲