Robin's Destiny

With Ja'vassa's group remaining outside to guard the entrance, Chrom and the other Shepherds hurried on inside to deal with the new king of Plegia. "Chrom, before we reach Validar, I've.. I've got a request to make of you. Don't worry, I'm not asking to be left behind, though that was a tempting thought." He started.

Chrom turned to him with a inquisitive look. "What is it, Robin?" He figured that this might be their last battle together, so the least he could do was grant this request.

"I'm going to do whatever I can to fight against Validar, but there's a chance he might be able to overcome me.." Robin paused, gulping softly. "If.. if he manages to take control of me, don't hesitate to cut me down. I know I'm asking you to do something difficult, but think of all the others here. You have a duty to protect them, even if that means cutting me down."

The prince froze in response to the request, though he wanted to argue and tell Robin to shut up, to tell him that such a thing wouldn't happen, but in the end, he knew that the tactician was right. "I.. I'll do it if I must, but you had better damn well fight against that dastard. I don't wanna go to my sister and try to explain to her that I murdered her husband."

Robin would nod in response, smiling at Chrom's answer. "Of course, I'll use every ounce of my will to fight against him. You can count on it."

After they had finished their conversation, they would continue on their way with the journey coming to an end when they finally came face to face with their foe. Validar smirked as they approached him. "It seems Aversa has failed me.. no matter. I'd assume you and your friends are quite eager to meet the Fell Dragon himself. Grima himself will take center stage tonight and you will personally have a front row seat to witness the rise." He proclaimed proudly, "The Table is set and he's sure to have a bountiful feast tonight!"

Chrom shook his head, "You idiot! Grima will bring nothing but death and destruction, neither you nor Plegia will be safe! Lucina witnessed it first hand!" He warned, but to no avail.

"Then I pray tonight's show will live up to her claims. The Exalt isn't the only one who can tap into the Emblem's true power. I'll use it to finally bring Grima back to the realm of the living." The king said, returning to his altar. "I unfortunately lack a single, key ingredient.. I need a mortal vessel. Fortunately, you saved me the trouble of finding one." He added, smiling towards Robin.

The tactician's eyes widened as the realization hit him, "You mean me, don't you?" He asked, gulping softly.

Validar would nod in response, "Of course, my son. You carry my blood. You carry the blood of the Fell Dragon. For centuries, the Grimleal have prayed and worked for the perfect person... my father was not worthy... my father's father wasn't worthy.. not even I was able to accept the sacred gift. But, you. You were perfect! If it weren't for your traitorous mother.. in her weak and frightened heart, she stole you and fled. She prevented your chance to obtain godhood. No matter, you are here now. You can still be joined with the Fell Dragon's might." He proclaimed.

Robin began to get increasingly more nervous as he listened to Validar. "No.. there's... there's no way. I.." He stuttered, stepping back slightly in fear. He looked to the back of his hand, the one that carried on the back of his hand. "I've.. I've always wondered what this meant, but it seems I have my answer.. I.. I had no idea I was so important to you." He admitted. "However, I have no desire to become this god of yours. If you truly want to use my mind and soul so badly, you'll have to win it!" He added confidently, grabbing his silver sword. "My life didn't start with you, or with Grima. It started on the day that Chrom found me."

In response to that, Validar had grabbed a tome. "There is nothing I can do to you that Grima can't fix. You cannot avoid your destiny, my child." With a brilliant flash of light, massive barrier had been formed; separating Chrom and Robin from the rest of the Shepherds. "So long as the barrier stands, it'll be just us. No one will come to your aid when I rend the flesh from your bones."

The two exchanged a glance. "Let's do this, Robin. Let's take out this dastard. You're one of us, forever. No fate will change that." Chrom said.

Robin nodded in agreement. "I'm with you the entire way." He replied, staring his father down.

Meanwhile, back outside, Nowi had mostly recovered from the attack and stood back up. "Java.. let's head inside. They need our help." She suggested as she picked up her Dragonstone.

Ja'vassa stood up with her, "Are you sure about this, love? You've barely recovered.." He reminded her. In response, Nowi offered a confident nod in response. "I'm sure.. it's not right that we sit outside while our friends fight for their lives. We need to be right there with them." She pumped her fist, ready for another battle.

"I'm right behind you. Odahviing should be able to handle any incoming warriors. Serana and Frea are no doubt doing what they can to help Lissa and the others." Ja'vassa replied, deciding to unsheath both Dragonbane and Harkon's sword. "Let's go, Nowi." And with that, the loving couple would make their way to join up with their allies.

Back inside, the battle was already underway; Grimleal and Shepherd alike traded blow for blow in a desperate struggle. Chrom and Robin were locked in a deadly duel with the tactician's father, though it seemed they were slowly taking the advantage, much to Validar's disappointment.

"Tell me, Robin... why would you trade away godhood?" Validar asked, firing another blast of dark magic. "Why would you throw away your chance at immortality for these lowly worms? These frail, insignificant bonds of yours... they're nothing in the grand scheme of things."

Robin dodged the magic blast, returning the attack with an Arcfire. "I couldn't ask you to understand, I doubt you would understand. When you've..." He paused, firing off another attack. "...been risking your life with people for as long as I have, you tend to find yourself rather attached. I have no desire to hurt them or anyone they care for." After he finished speaking, he had managed to strike down the king.

"Augh!" Validar shouted as he stumbled back, "Foolish servants of Naga... you cannot unwrite what... has already been written!" He grunted, falling to the ground. In a last ditch effort to take them out, he had fired off a blast of magic. Fortunately, Robin had managed to push Chrom out of the way, but had taken the full power of the attack.

Robin was pushed back several feet, collapsing as a result. "Hey! Are you alright?" Chrom asked, helping him back to his feet. "At long last, our battle is finally over.. Validar has been defeated.." Though Robin was listening, he had found his friend's voice fading out as a searing pain flared up in his head; his eyes becoming bloodshot as voices swirled in his mind. The prince look to him with concern, "What's the matter, Robin?" After he spoke, it was as if the world had come to a standstill; silence filled the room as Chrom noticed a bolt of electricity sticking out from his abdomen. No longer bloodshot, Robin stared at his hand in horror, watching the remnants of the spell crackling in his hand. Chrom stumbled back, "Please.. don't.. don't blame yourself. Take the others.. and get out of here, now." He ordered, soon collapsing to the ground.